Fixing to a plasterboard on breeze block wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just writing to see if I can find the best practice on fitting heavy objects to the walls in my new house. The walls are plasterboard which is attached to the breeze block behind using metal brackets. I find my usual screws are not long enough to cope with the distance of the plasterboard and cavity behind it. It must add an inch to my requirements.

Anyway, the sheds don't seem to have any decent screws + plugs that are long enough to take account of this situation, but in any case I'd really like to get some good advice as to what sort of screw/plug and size people would use for heavy objects like bathroom cabinets. I don't want to fix only to plasterboard as this plasterboard is thin and crumbley.

Thanks,

Simon

Sponsored Links
go to a builders merchant, you should be able to get what you need there. If the plasterboard is in reasonable condition, a bathroom cabinet should be ok fixed with toggle fixings. Failing that use the longer screws into the blockwork and a rawlplug, pushed across the cavity.

Would be nice if someone would tell me what they use for heavy duty on breeze block. But nevermind, it must be a secret.

Simon.

You have lots of options for securing to breeze blocks. The humble screws and Rawplugs can be used for some pretty hefty stuff. It is quite normal for kitchen units to be held up with Screws and Rawplugs. As a variation on this theme, you might want to try these for your application. They have the advantage of deep penetration and they don't expand in the void. You would simply offer up the unit, drill right the way through the back of the unit, plasterboard, and breaze block, and then, without removing the unit, punch the things right through the lot and then do up the screw.

Alternatively there are anchor bolts and all sorts of modern variations. Take a browse through the screwfix catalogue. I'm sure you'll find something that takes your fancy.

Sponsored Links
thought i had, oh well my writing must be invisible, still nice to be appreciated

Thermo

Thermo said:
thought i had,
Yes you had, I but I don't think Multiplex appreciated that you had. That's why I re-itterated your point that Screws and Rawplugs, can, indeed be used for "heavy duty" applications.

Anyhow, he's now had the suggestions of Toggle fixings, Long screws and rawplugs, frame anchors, sheild anchor bolts and a suggested reference to further information (the screw fix catalogue). So much for the conspiracy of secracy. ;) :)

Yes, thanks for your help. It's just difficult to find longer screws.

It just seems strange to use window frame screws for putting up a bathroom cabinet. Why can't I even find normal screws on the screwfix website, all the ones they sell seems to be self tapping, or adjustable or for wood only?

Sometimes there are just so many options, that I find it strange that there's no reference to find exactly what size screw and plug should be used. 5.5mm or 8mm etc etc. What happens, is that people like me (I'm 23 btw) come along, don't really know what to use and end of trying to find out and then using something that's probably inappropriate.

Simon.

Multiplex said:
It just seems strange to use window frame screws for putting up a bathroom cabinet.
I know what you're saying but nice to have wide range of screws choice !
Why can't I even find normal screws on the screwfix website, all the ones they sell seems to be self tapping, or adjustable or for wood only?
They may looks like self tapping but they're not ! Most of them are design for the cordless drill.

Try the human touch. go into a builders merchant, not a diy shed, explain the problem, tell them the length you need and they will sort you out and at a cheaper price too.

By the way, do you think that with the 40mm (approx) cavity the screw will be taking too much of the weight? I.e. because it's hanging out of the wall a heavy bathroom cabinet will put a lot of pressure on the screw itself, maybe it could snap?

Simon.

In the cavity area I put in a 15mm copper pipe flush with the plasterboard wall and a washer then put the screw in to pick up the rawlplug in the brickwork. If you think about it, if you drill a hole in the wall then put in a screw with no rawlplug then hang heavy picture on it, it will not fall down ! The rawlplug stop the screw coming out of the wall and not hold the weight !

It just seems strange to use window frame screws for putting up a bathroom cabinet.
Although screwfix call them window frame screws, These things were not specifically designed for window frames. These are based on the same technology as Fischer screws see this.

You will notice that they specifically mention:
it is possible to bridge relatively large non load-bearing layers of substrate material.

As I say, the thing I find handy about them is, you push them right through the item you are attaching to the wall. If you are fitting a cabinet. Just get some chums to hold the item in place, drill through the back of the unit, and then continue into the wall, and then just push the things through and tighten. All without taking it down and putting it back up.

If you are using conventional wall plugs, you have to drill through the cabinet back with a relatively small bit, offer up the unit, mark the positions of the holes on the wall, take the unit back down, drill into the wall with a much larger (masonary) bit, put in the plugs, offer the unit back up, and hope that you are close enough to find the centre of the plug with the tip of your screw.
[/quote][/url]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back