how to support a massive, massive rose bush, help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my mothers friend knows I do a few odd jobs for people and has asked for advice regarding her rose bush. The thing is this rose bush is huge, in fact I don't think I have ever seen anything like it before.

She has a very large garden of an odd shape and has shown it, ie don't know if it ended up in a magazine but she has had days where people come to see it etc, but saying that, she does it all herself apart from a gardener who comes in to cut the grass. There are so many plants and it looks so great I don't know how she manages it.

Ok thats enough of trying to give you the picture. This rose bush is in a large kidney shaped flowerbed with other stuff growing underneath it. It must stretch about 25 or 30 feet across and the trunk/branches are about 4inches thick aprox. at their thickest. As the branches come out of the ground and then bow over it must reach about 8 feet high roughly. When we had bad weather a while back, lots of wind and rain, this bush started to bend lower to the ground, sort of flatening out due to its own weight.

She then called me panicking and I took some rope and pulled several of the numerous branches back toward a big pine type tree to support it. This helped but was not ideal as the branches normally splay out in all directions and there is anothing else to fix to, she has a garage but believe me, it would not take it. I also then tied some of the front branches to the already secured back ones, as I say it all helped but is not ideal, its not looking so natural now and there is a lot of strain going on.

So the question is, how to support this bush,don't say tell her to cut it back as she is proud of it and shows it off and wont cut it back. I don't know if it is a special one that is supposed to be so big or not but it does look impressive.

I am thinking of a pergola as the only answer and several uprights to be able to cope with the strain of this monster, but on looking at pergolas on the net and considering how many days work it will be to dig holes, cement in all the uprights and build the thing etc., it seems that this will easily end up costing her a lot of money, so any ideas, any other ways to support this rose bush monster?

Any help would be appreciated, hope this is in the right place.

Sponsored Links
hero - the conventional way of supporting specimen trees & shrubs, where it would be inappropriate to lop/prune to reduce the mass, is by using 'crutches' (similar to breezer's stakes). The crutches can be in the form of a single stake, or gallows (stake + crossbar), a Y. My own view is the Y form looks more natural (and discrete or less noticable) if made from tree branch off-cuts. The advantage of using crutches is you can tailor make each one to each bending limb. Obviously, the limbs are fastened to the crutches with proper tree straps (not rope).

Hi Thanks Symptoms, sounds interesting, is there anywhere on the internet I could see pictures of this method at work to get a better idea of what you describe?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back