Few fence post questions please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have to build a fence and I want to do the first few posts slightly different to the rest.

The first post needs to fit to the corner of my extension, can anyone tell me the best way (I am using 4" x 4" posts)?

I thought of coach bolts or studding but not sure how to fix the studs to the wall. Which is the best way to fix the post do you think?

The next 3 posts I want to fix into the ground with repair spurs so that the wooden posts can be removed more easily. How far into the ground do they need to go if the fence is 2m high?

I see they have 3 holes on most of the 4' spurs, do I need to use all 3 and wont one be too low ie in the ground if I sink this spur the usual 80cm underground as I read somewhere?

I was thinking of using studding for these spurs ie drilling right through the post but they do sell coach type bolts but these seem to only go into the wooden post 2" and we get strongish winds here so I fancy the studs, what do you think about this?

Finally, in the end I will have to do about 22 posts, probably a silly question but how does this ready-mixed-one-post-bags compare with mixing my own?

Should I just buy and mix my own cement and what mix is best please?

Also I have read somewhere to put the post in and fill around the bottom with gravel to help support it is this right or should the whole hole be full of concrete?

Also how close to the surface/soil do I go with the concrete?

Sorry for all the questions but I have read so many different things now, I am getting more confused now.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
To answer your questions in order:-

The first post agaisnt the wall, should be a wall plate. This is basically a piece of 4 x 2, which is then boleted to teh wall, with framing anchors or rawlbolts.

Your spurs should go 1/3 of the height of the fence into the ground so if it is 2m tall then it should be around 600mm-700mm minimum

use all 3 bolts if they are exposed and they should be if you buy the right length of spur

studding is absolulty fine

for that many posts, mix your own. it will be a lot cheaper. we use a dry 1:6 mix. Ram it well in around the post and only add water after all the fence has been erected. we always fill the whole hole with concrete much stronger.

Leave the concrete a few inches below the surface, it looks much better

Sponsored Links
i do apologise for my spelling, my rather furry cat was trying to lay on my keyboard at the time and made things rather difficult. Bolted, it should be bolted, boleted....(what is boleted?)

So Thermo, your bit about the concrete, do you mean you put it in bone dry, and then pour water on it and if so how much water, ie, just wet the top or a soaking, sorry for being dumb here but never done this before?

And you say you top the hole off with "concrete much stonger" what do you mean by this, do you mean something like a 1:3 wet mix or still dry and what ratio, when you say stronger?

Also how much would be a rough height for this stronger mix, 6" or less etc?

Sorry as you can see I am a beginner but I usually turn out some pretty good work once I actually get going.

Put it in bone dry, when youve finished the work then pour in about 1/2 a bucket of water. the concrete will soak moisture in from the ground as well

When i said much stronger, i meant fill the entire hole with concrete rather than using gravel at the bottom, it is much stronger!

do it all in 1:6 and make sure you ram it in firmly as you do it.

hope that makes sense now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back