Max Wattage Allowed On Lighting Circuit.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya guys, hoping someone can help me, I'm relocating a floodlight on the side of my house, it is activated by a seperate PIR.

I'm tempted to when I relocate the light add another at the adjacent end of the building. I'm unsure what wattage I can total with the PIR and my lighting circuit (my house has a seperate up and down lighting circuit) The PIR is a few years old and any markings seem to be long gone.

Also adding a switch to over ride the PIR would be rather helpfull, is this an easy task?

Thanks in advance :)

DSC_0183.jpg

The PIR in question if it's any help what so ever!

Sponsored Links
Max Wattage Allowed On Lighting Circuit.....
usually fused at 6A so about 1400 watts

your halogen floodlight probably has a 300W tube in it. this is good for annoying the neighbours but you can put a 150W tube in it (get the same length) which will be ample.

PIRs normally rated around 1000w.

If you're getting near this it should be fed from its own circuit of a fused spur.

An override switch can be connected to the switched live in the PIR, or to the lives of the lights.

Nice one guys, on the fused spur....I have one in the loft that used to be a immersion heater spur from the fb which now feeds the boiler in the loft. Is this a possibility? I'm sure the boiler is rated at way below 3A's

Sponsored Links
what is the load of the floodlamps that is switched by your PIR?

the PIR itself is irrelevant.

From outward appearance, having used identical PIRs in the past, the switching capacity is 2000w.

Obviously not to say that is the case with yours.

The ones I have used were black :LOL:

JohnD - what do you mean the PIR is irrelevant?

JohnD - what do you mean the PIR is irrelevant?
The PIR is just a switch

the load comes from the lamps.

who cares what my light switches are rated at when calculating power requirements of the 6A lighting circuit?

That's why I asked for the load of his floodlights.

I was thinking firstly of 2x300w floodlights, surly the PIR comes into it, if it was only capable of switching 200w for example sticking 2x500w lights on it would burn the contacts out surly (or worse!)

Okay JD, was thinking of the load switching capacity of the PIR.

OP, the switching load capacity of the PIR is very important when you consider what is downstream of it - more importantly, you need to consider the upstream supply capacity.

Others correct me if I'm wrong.

Seeing as no-one else will:-

Yes, you are correct, even if your supply can handle the current demanded by your lighting, if the PIR switching it can't, the PIR is in trouble.

I'm not a spark, but this much I do know!

Even allowing for diversety, I personnaly would put large security lighting installs on the ring final fused down in the recognised manor, using a switched FCU for isolation.

OP, consider this as the best course of action.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong Pros!

Actually, even if I'm right - please comment - would like to know, even if I'm near right!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back