Rewire Quotation-seems a little steep?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've been lurking on this forum for a while but have taken the plunge to sign up & seek some advice.

I have a 1930's built semi detached property that I am currently renovating. It has three reception rooms plus kitchen and a downstairs W/C.
Upstairs there are three (double) bedrooms, bathroom and separate W/C. As part of the structural repairs to the roof we have taken the opportunity to install a bedroom and separate shower room with w/c in the roof void. This is currently in progress and is being done under PD with building regs. There is also a detached garage that is to be demolished and replaced with a larger version which will also incorporate the garden shed.
I have also applied for planning to build a side extension.

The property is in need of a total rewire for which I have drawn up the following specification:

Scope of works:
To provide a complete re-wire to BS7671:2008 of the above premises for power, lighting, heating and other circuits as detailed below or shown on the supplied drawings.
All electrical work is to be designed, installed, tested and inspected in accordance with I.E.E wiring regulations (17th Edition) and be undertaken by an installer registered under a suitable electrical self-certification scheme, or by a suitably qualified person, with a certificate of compliance produced by that person at the end of the works as authorised by recognised certification bodies for issue to Building control.

List of works:
• Supply and install 1.no. Fuse board with breakers /isolators and associated cabling to loft space conversion. No. of ways to be determined at time of survey and in discussion with client and builder.
• Supply and install 1.no. Fuse board with breakers /isolators and associated cabling to proposed new garage. No. of ways to be determined at time of survey and in discussion with client and builder. External ducting /trench by others. NB. Lighting and power requirements cannot be confirmed until construction drawings are issued and are to be quoted separately.
• Supply and install 1.no. replacement main fuse board with breakers /isolators and associated cabling. Location as per existing. No. of ways to be determined at time of survey and in discussion with client and builder.
• If required, upgrade main tails to 25mm.
• If required, upgrade main earth to 16mm.
• Upgrade main bonds to 10mm.
• Allowance to be made for additional lighting and power circuits to proposed extension. Draw wires and cable routes to be provided for same.
• Installation of 46no. MK Logic Plus double sockets K2747WHI* to locations indicated on supplied drawings.
• Installation of 3no.MK Masterseal 56482 GRY IP64 rated external sockets* to locations indicated on supplied drawings.
• Supply and installation of light fittings (bayonet style) and associated cabling. No. to be determined at time of survey and in discussion with client and builder.
• Supply and installation of standard down-lighters and associated cabling to specified rooms. No. to be determined at time of survey and in discussion with client and builder.
• Supply and installation of switches including 3no. double strapper circuits associated with all lighting requirements. No. of switches to be determined at time of survey. Switches to be from MK Logic Plus range unless otherwise agreed. Where multiple switches are to be installed such as the hallway, MK Logic Plus Grid Plus should be used.
• The supply and installation of a number of radial fed non switched spurs for boiler, underfloor heating(bathroom), thermostat control, fridge, garage door controls, network rack and provision of a spare feed for future use. Exact number of feeds to be determined at time of survey. Appropriate spurs from MK Logic Plus range to be fitted.
• Installation of cabling to 2no. shaver sockets (supplied). 1no. to 1st floor bathroom and 1no. to loft bathroom.
• Installation of 1no. cooker circuit and cabling.
• Installation of cabling for alternative cooker location.(labelled,un-connected)
• Supply and installation of 3no. smoke detectors and associated cabling in accordance with current building regulations.
• Supply and installation of extractor fan and associated cabling to loft bathroom in compliance with or in excess of architects specification as detailed on drawing 998/17 (not supplied). Fan to be approved by client prior to installation.
• Supply and installation of 3no. extractor fans and associated cabling to 1st floor bathroom, 1st floor w/c and ground floor w/c. Ducting, (if required) to be specified and installed by others. Exhaust location to be agreed by client-external holes to be made by others. Fans to be approved by client prior to installation.

Heating Controls
• Supply and installation of Belden 9538, 8 core shielded cable to 12 no. thermostatic control points cabled back to heating manifolds.
• Supply and installation of Belden 9538, 8 core shielded cable from heating manifolds to a central position indicated on supplied drawings.
• The above to be first fix only and in accordance with provided wiring diagrams. Location of thermostats to be confirmed at time of survey.

All chases, for both electrical and heating to be carried out by others.
Allowance to be made for the supply of back boxes as required in addition to those already supplied and installed by client.

*Please detail cost option to supply and install specified sockets.

This, in conjunction with a set of detailed and annotated A3 sized 1:50 plans were supplied to the Electrician.

The following was also initially specified:
18m integral ducting LV, and 230v segregated.

Low voltage.

1- half size rack to be sited in new garage cabling to be routed via external duct ( duct installed by others).

1- Olsen block 6way.

6- telephone outlets fitted and cabled back to new half size rack and labelled only.

8- data points fitted and cabled back to new half size rack and labelled only.

8- television points fitted and cabled back to new half size rack and labelled only.

To carry out all of the above, I have had an initial quote of £18K plus VAT. This was then revised to £15K +VAT.
The house is unoccupied, no upstairs ceilings, no ceiling in the kitchen, no floor coverings upstairs with all boards loose. Downstairs has no floor coverings land all boards are loose. All chasing will be done by others as will making good.

It seems somewhat excessive even for "darn Sarf!!

I've since revised the spec to just what you see in the first part of the post & have taken out all data, coax & telephony.

I think, I'm looking at between £6 & £8K but I'm struggling to get anyone to look at it to see how realistic this is.

I'd welcome any input on this.

Sponsored Links
Lots of unknowns there, but there is no way that 6k could possibly be enough for all of that. 10k maybe.

Why a separate consumer unit for the loft conversion?

I agree £18k does seem excessive. At first your list looks a little daunting, but after a read through it's more concise than anything else, there isn't as much work involved as it initially looks. Given that all the chases and general legwork are to be completed by somebody other than the electrician, your estimate of £8k sounds realistic, although without seeing the job it's hard to quote.

Sounds like an interesting job, I'd also take a punt that you're installing the Heatmiser networked thermostat system? If so, I installed the very same in my house. I wouldn't bother spec'ing the Belden data cable, granted it's recommended by the manufacturer, but most (if not all) cat5e STP data cable has specifications well in excess of Belden 9538. I purchased a 1000ft spool of stranded flexible 8 core STP for just a tad over £100, and still had plenty to spare after wiring 15 stats and a central control touchscreen.

If it weren't for the fact that I only work in an industrial environment for my employer then I'd be quite interested...

The following was also initially specified:
18m integral ducting LV, and 230v segregated.

230V is low voltage (LV). What you actually mean (looking at what you describe as low voltage later) is ELV (Extra Low Voltage). I would suggest when sending this spec out to anybody that you have that correct, otherwise it's a little confusing...

Sponsored Links
Same size house as I have, even down to the loft room and 3 recpts.

Would it be Edwardian or older ?

I'll offer you a quote if you mail over the plans and spec (if it varies from what you have mentioned).

The quotes you have do seem a tad heavy, have you gone to larger firms?

There's no reason why a smaller man & mate firm couldn't do it. I don't charge VAT (and the same for quite a few small firms) so smaller would offer that saving on the labour side.

Maybe they see the ELV Data, voice, TV and heating as sticky issues.

Quite why some electricians won't do it is beyond me, but then I'm ex BT (lol).

Last 9 roomed house I did with 14 final circuits, TV, Data, BT to all rooms was £8.4k and £2.5k of that was materials.

So ball park £9-10k.

If you push the work out in the same format you posted it, that might expalin the high costs coming back.

It's a house rewire, not building a super sized structure and your writing style comes across as a bit too formal.
Formalities come with the job offer an acceptance, on survey and quote informal can be the better method.

230V is low voltage (LV). What you actually mean (looking at what you describe as low voltage later) is ELV (Extra Low Voltage). I would suggest when sending this spec out to anybody that you have that correct, otherwise it's a little confusing...[/quote]

I didn't actually put that in-that was how the original quoting sparks termed it. I just copied & pasted for the initial post.
However, I have removed it from the spec I have prepared as I am no-longer putting the half rack in the garage as I originally intended.

Same size house as I have, even down to the loft room and 3 recpts. Would it be Edwardian or older?

No, a mere youngster at 1931 build date!

your writing style comes across as a bit too formal.

Interesting point. I'm a Facilities manager and I have to write tender specifications as part of my work. I've just written as I would do for a tender document.
I've dropped the data & voice altogether from the revised spec. Figured as it's outside of part P, I can give it a go!

I'd also take a punt that you're installing the Heatmiser networked thermostat system? If so, I installed the very same in my house. I wouldn't bother spec'ing the Belden data cable, granted it's recommended by the manufacturer, but most (if not all) cat5e STP data cable has specifications well in excess of Belden 9538.

Well spotted sir! Heatmiser it is. Thanks for the tip on the cable :D

Why a separate consumer unit for the loft conversion?

Originally, I figured the loft would need just a ring circuit and lighting circuit. With the works that have taken place, the boiler is to be resited to the loft, plus the circulation pump, add in the extractor fan for the bathroom and possibly a shower circuit and another supply for electric UFH in the bathroom. It seemed to me to be a better option of having a small CU which would allow for the option of additional circuits. Running a small SWA up to the CU offered more flexibility and perhaps a quicker install.

Unfortunately, experience has taught me that it's better to allow for future use and never use it than to need it and not be able to do it. :rolleyes:

Boiler and controls will be less than 1 amp.
Extractor fan on the same circuit as the bathroom lights.
Underfloor heating can be on the same circuit as the sockets in the adjacent room.

Still only 2 circuits - lighting and power/boiler/underfloor heating.
I wouldn't put a ring circuit in either - a radial would use a lot less cable.

As for the shower, if it is a pumped one, then connect to the power circuit (as the load will only be a 1 or 2 amps).
If you want an electric heated shower, then it won't be a small SWA cable - it will be a large one, 10mm or 16mm. You really don't want to be fitting an electric shower in a refurb/new build though.

Boiler and controls will be less than 1 amp.
Extractor fan on the same circuit as the bathroom lights.
Underfloor heating can be on the same circuit as the sockets in the adjacent room.

Still only 2 circuits - lighting and power/boiler/underfloor heating.
I wouldn't put a ring circuit in either - a radial would use a lot less cable.

As for the shower, if it is a pumped one, then connect to the power circuit (as the load will only be a 1 or 2 amps).
If you want an electric heated shower, then it won't be a small SWA cable - it will be a large one, 10mm or 16mm. You really don't want to be fitting an electric shower in a refurb/new build though.

Many thanks for this. :cool: That gives me greater options.

I'll offer you a quote if you mail over the plans and spec (if it varies from what you have mentioned).

Can't seem to work out how to do this-you might have to add me as one of your friends so I can see your full profile & contact addy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back