No earth on spotlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wiring in 5 spotlights instead of one ceiling rose using various junction boxes. All went well until I discovered the spotlights had no earth wires .
Having blanked off the old eaths and wiring it all in I turned on the power and bang went the fuse. Do you require a transformer with no earth? They are not low voltage spots. Thanks

Sponsored Links
If they are plastic-encased spots, then there is nothing to earth, and thus no earth connection needed. If they are normal 240V spots, then no transformer is needed.

It sounds as though you have a short somewhere in your wiring.

Sponsored Links
most common explanation is that you wired the lightswitch accross the lights rather than in series with them

happens all the time someone puts all the reds in one hole and all the blacks in the other and bang goes the fuse/breaker (depending on the position of the lightswitch either immidiately or when they switch it)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back