restoration of door furniture

F

faycat

Hi

The rim locks and knobs on our recently dipped doors are like the ones in the link below but they need restoring to their former glory. At the moment they are dull and the surface is rough [they had about five layers of paint on them].

Does anyone know what I'm supposed to do to get them looking good again? Or is that impossible?

http://www.castinstyle.co.uk/product.php/1194/21/victorian_rim_latch_set

Thanks very much for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
you could try autosol, or brasso for a start.
even jif type cream cleaner and a plastic scourer is worth trying.

You can try the cream cleaner/scourer but the scourer may scratch. If they are just dull something like “T Cut” & a lot of elbow grease will do it. If they are rough to the touch, ideally, they need buffing on a fine wire wheel & then polishing on a buffing wheel with fine paste (T Cut again). To keep them looking good after polishing, thoroughly de-grease (auto panel wipe) & apply a couple of coats of clear satin from an aerosol spray can; or gloss if you prefer.

Thanks for the suggestions. Will start making a shopping list. But not sure what a "fine wire wheel" or a "buffing wheel" is. Would it be worth buying these thing plus all products compared to the price of £70 per set to replace? I don't want to replace, I want to restore but I don't want to spend a fortune.

Sponsored Links
Thanks a lot. This is a whole new world for me! I don't even have a drill! I've been putting of buying one cos no idea which one is best [but I do have an electric screwdriver and an electric sander and a tool box....] :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back