Range Powermax 155x - Whistling Brass Thing on Top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a Range Powermax 155x (yes, yes they're sh*t..)

Anyway, it's about 7 years old and lately it's started making a fairly loud whistle when it's really cooking.
I took it apart to have a look, as you do...

...to see where the noise was coming from and it seems to be this brass thing on the top.

There's a fair ammount of dried up gunk around the red cap of this thing and I can see the odd droplet of water, which later evaporates leaving a bit more residue.

Does anybody know what this thing is and how it will effect my boiler operation. I gave it a few knocks with a screwdriver and it seemed to quieten down a bit. However, I think this is only a temporary 'fix'. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
the brass thing is an auto air vent if the whistling is really from this then A. you are running the boiler dry B. you probably have a stuck float in the header tank or C. the feed to the system from the header is blocked

are you sure that the sound is from that as the powermax whistles like a demented idiot when the burner gasket is knacked (it must be replaced on every service.)

I thought it was coming from that, it's not easy to tell without climbing on top of it.
The pressure is about right; 1 when it's off, 1 to 2 when it's on. It seems to be hot enough we've plenty of hot water and the radiators are blazing.
How would I check if it was "running dry"?

Kevin don't know about the burner gasket (could be)but when the gas/air mix is wrong on these they sound horrendous like a fog horn or an air raid warning.

Sponsored Links
the brass thing is an auto air vent if the whistling is really from this then A. you are running the boiler dry B. you probably have a stuck float in the header tank or C. the feed to the system from the header is blocked

I don't have a header tank either, come to think of it, it feeds straight from the mains. There is a big tank of hot water inside the boiler but no header tank (in the loft) as such.

I had my head in the airing cupboard yesterday while it was whistling, trying to pinpoint the source of the sound. I noticed that as soon as the boiler clicks to go off, the whistling stops and the fan slows down to a halt. So it's not like the bearrings on the fan or something like that or it would be more gradual.

I wouldn't say it was as loud as a fog horn, I can hear it downstairs but it's more annoying than loud. I've reports of some boilers where you can hear them up the road.

you probably have a stuck float in the header tank or C. the feed to the system from the header is blocked

So why has it got a PRV and pressure guage :D

it's about 7 years old

So its had 6 services then?

Probably due for another one by the sounds of it

time to call in the experts.
www.heateam.co.uk
tip if you call someone out to service/repair it leave the boiler cool down ie turn it off the morning of the visit.nowt worse than to see a grown man sweating buckets.

it's about 7 years old

So its had 6 services then?

6 services? :oops: I don't think it's even had one. Maybe it's time. Do most people have there boilers serviced regularly or is it more of a "should do" kind of thing that rarely gets a look in?
How much would you expect a boiler service to cost? (roughly)

:arrow: here's an mp3 of the whistling noise, if it might help. You can hear it stop abruptly when the boiler switches off. :cool:

There's a variable thermostat that runs the hot water temperature on the left behind the top panel. I took it out and tested it in a pan of water, it worked OK but was set for too hot, IMO.
It was set to 3 O'clock so I've turned it down to 12 O'clock and the boiler cuts out sooner. Out water isn't the 85°C that it used to be but I'm happy with the 75°C tbh, it doesn't scold you and it's shut up with that pesky whistling.
I reckon it was trying to get to a temperature that it was never going to reach and just getting annoyed, and venting off a bit.

I'm happy with that anyhow :D

It needs checking for flue/intake. Air/gas ratio. Gas supply pressure. Sump clear. Electrodes/burner clean. HEX/seals clear. Take your pick. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back