Why is there fungus on my new ply roof (pics included)?

So putting in insulation does this remove the cold surface?

I am assuming that there will always be a cold surface, ie some place where the hot meets cold even if i do insulation and plasterboard.

Sponsored Links
have you ventilated the room !!!
if the damp is still in the air and or the wood you need to ventilate to let it dry out ;)

even if its only 2 hours a day

may i suggest you just ventilate now and worry about the insulation during the summer
this will allow you to know its damp air rather than a leak

as long as the roof is cold, and you have warm moist air in the room, you will get condensation.

Stop generating damp with that parafin heater, ventilate the room to take the moist air out, and the condensation will stop or reduce.

If you are putting a false ceiling in, ventilate the void to the outside on each side of the building to get a throughflow of cold dry air, this will dry out the damp timbers and keep them dry. Since this void is above the insulation, it will not make the room cold. It is like ventilating a loft to prevent damp.

Thanks, no the doors have been shut... I have just opened them and will leave them open all day today. and tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
THANKS. just needed confirmation i wasnt sure as theere will always be a cold part (ie the one next to the elements).

Thanks again guys

Im off to buy space blankets now from wickes. Its buy one get one free at the moment,

Anybody,

Is there any harm with me painting the timber and shuttering ply with something? If yes, any ideas what with? (for piece of mind)

Also, i have bought the breathable membrane but where would it go, between the loft insulation and plasterboard or between the loft insulation and shuttering ply?.

Cheers,

Tony

edit - ps: ive just bought some fungus killer and some wood preserver, should this be ok?

let the wet dry out before you try to treat or paint it.

lots of ventilation, no paraffin heater, and sun on the roof will soon dry it

Have you thrown away the paraffin heater yet?

I havent used it as its not really a parrafin heater, its a canister i used it to torch on the felt roof, (but also used it to keep the room warm whilst working - which i now realise was a mistake!!!

why have you bought space blanket?

Have you not taken in a single word?

You need to fully fill the void with insulation, preferably celotex or kingspan. Otherwise fill with rockwool and underdraw with 25mm celotex or kingspan.

why have you bought space blanket?

Have you not taken in a single word?

You need to fully fill the void with insulation, preferably celotex or kingspan. Otherwise fill with rockwool and underdraw with 25mm celotex or kingspan.

I bought the space blankets before starting this post...

Also, which 'word' was i supposed to take in as i dont think anybody told me not to put in insulation (unless i missed it).

PS: is space blanket not insulation? It doesnt matter, I can use this in the loft and buy some of that normal itchy wooly stuff if thats better.

Oh NO!!!!

I forgot to mention that I will be putting a 2000 x 100 rectangle hole in the plasterboard and putting an automatic projector screen into the roof space.

Is this going to pose a problem with,

a) with the heat getting into the roof space,
b) moisture getting the electronics of the projector screen wet?

Cheers,

Tony

if you have dried it off by improving ventilation and reducing humidity it wil clean off easily. Even bleach will kill it.

If it is still damp then you still have a problem.

I prefer Cuprinol Green or Clear, the fence stuff may give off fumes used internally. Wickes may have an equivalent own-brand for structural timbers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back