wallpapering around chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
whats the best way to wallpaper around a chimney breast so it has 2 external corners to go around then 2 internal corners to go around to carry onto the wall. any pictures would be great . i have been told to bring it around the corner about 1 inch then plumb then rest of the paper up and over lap the 1 inch around the corner if the wall is not straight is this correct the only problem i am thinking with this is the pattern may be out and you will have a overlap joint which will not look good i dont think?

thanks carl

Sponsored Links
I usually try to set out so the ends of the breast will go round at least 4". If not square you'll have to splice with knife in the recess. The next drop in the recess can be overlapped but do a double cut joint. i.e match the next joint over the 4"carefully so the top part of paper is in same position as the 4" bit then with a strait edge knife down both papers at same time (about 3" into recess) take away the loose bits and you'll have a perfect join. Well not to you but most peeps wont notice.

;)
good luck

hello
I don't understand the above post (feeling very thick today), basically same thing, decorating chimney breast, which takes three strips across then I am left with about two milimeters gap at each side to go around the external corners with, its just not going to lie flat.
any help thanks

Trying to get a few mm of paper to stick around an external corner is very rarely successful.
The easiest way, if your chimney breast is only a few mm over the width of 3 sheets of paper, would be to start with a join in the centre of the breast so that you effectively have 2 full width sheets on the wall and at each side of them the next sheet will wrap around the corner.
You should then have just under half of a sheet on each side wall of the chimney which you can either match to, or, as you say the corners are out of square, may need to overlap slightly. If you do need to overlap, you can slice through both layers of the paper which will allow you to remove the excess and leave a flat join rather than the ridge a standard overlap will give.
As confidentincompetent suggests, there may be a slight mismatch in the pattern, but other than yourself, most people will never notice.

Sponsored Links
Well that is certainly the way to overcome your problem, just remember though that half s sheet is a large amount wallpaper to turn around an external angle so take care not to crease the wallpaper,

Dec

thanks guys, I see now, just praying that the pattern is the same if I get into difficulties around the corners will probably be back on here to ask. not started it yet as I have some of the other bits to finish. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back