How to prepare brick for tiling

D

diyfiesta

Hello,

With so many opinions and advice knocking around I wanted to ask the experts how to best prepare some old bricks (actually inside a fireplace) ready to accept some tiles.

I was thinking of just getting it all flat with either render or bonding? I don't actually know the difference between those two things but want a diy friendly option.

Cheers ears

Sponsored Links
Are you going to be using the fireplace?

If so I would mix up some flexi adhesive and give it a skim with that,then tile as normal also using flexi.

hi, not going to use the fireplace (its upstairs in the bedroom).

Would "bonding" be ok? Is flexi just flexible tile adhesive?

ta

Strictly speaking you shouldn't stick tiles to a plaster bonding coat it should always be skimmed,render would be ok but its not easy to do well and if you dont get it flat it'll look a mess when its tiled.Easy option would be to stick or screw some board to the bricks tnd tile on that.
Plasterboard should be ok or MDF or ply or tile backer boards.

Sponsored Links
Thanks,

Its only a small space so I guess some thin ply would be ok, screwed straight to the brick. No need for battens or anything I guess.

Out of interest, when you say skimmed, do you mean a fine finish plaster? ie, proper plastering? If that's the case, what would you do, put bonding plaster on as an undercoat (or plasterboard) then fine plaster on top nice and thin and smooth and all that!?

How come you shouldn't tile onto bonding plaster? Is it just that it's fairly rough and might not bond well?

Sorry for the questions, curious newbie :D

Cheers ears

Not tiling onto bonding is because the tile adhesive doesn't stick so well its in the british standard that tiling must be onto a finish coat and the tile adhesive manufacturers wont guarantee their adhesives onto bonding.You can tile straight onto plasterboard though without skimming.
And yes thats pretty much it bonding coat on first and then finish coat very thin on top if you do it this way its supposed to have four weeks to dry out before tiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back