Boiler not to current regulations !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm hoping someone can help me with this, earlier this week we had our Baxi 105e boiler checked/serviced by British Gas, all was well except 3 things don't comply to current regulations :-

1) Overflow pipe not pointing towards wall (i'v sorted this out with a copper 'u' bend.

2) No ceiling plate (the flue goes vertically out of boiler through ceiling & then through loft & exits at roof)

3) Flue in loft not clamped every 1.8 metres.

I'v easily put right no.1 but am struggling to find parts for 2 & 3 i'v looked at various websites but can't seem to find these parts, is it possible to just make a ceiling plate from some aluminium & if so what are the regulations & dimensions required ?

If anyone can suggest a website where i can order and get delivered i would appreciate it, I'v tried my local plumbpoint with no success.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
your local boiler supplier will be able to supply both components required.

Ceiling plate is an interesting one!

I have always considered that if its sealed ( with plaster or filler ) using a non combustible material when it passes through the ceiling then thats acceptable.

Many that I have seen have not raised any comment from BG.

Whats the general opinion?

Tony

Ceiling plate is an interesting one!

I have always considered that if its sealed ( with plaster or filler ) using a non combustible material when it passes through the ceiling then thats acceptable.

Many that I have seen have not raised any comment from BG.

Whats the general opinion?

Tony

same here tony all the mi i have available state that all you need is non combustable material

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, the hole the flue goes through is bigger than the flue & it's not round is that why the BG engineer says it needs a ceiling plate ?, the ceiling is standard construction of plasterboard.

I either fill the gaps with fire retardent expanding foam, then trim back, or will cut and fix a small piece of plasterboard in the ceiling, then polyfilla over it.

Right, now you say its not sealed either!

Installers fault! Call him back for a free repair!

If he refuses then report him to CORGI and they will serve a defects notice on him!

Tony

Thanks again, now i think i understand, the boiler was installed in 2005 and it's only ever been checked/serviced by local independent gas fitters before BG done it this week, this issue was never mentioned by the other engineers that have serviced it.

So basically if i put some fire-retardant expanding foam in the cavity around the pipe and trim it neatly that will sort it ?

With regards to the clamp the reason the BG engineer says it's not been done is because there is no-where to clamp it too in the loft so will need a piece of wood or something putting in to clamp it too.

I no longer have the details of the original installer so am unable to go down that route.

The clamp rule is stupid in a lot of cases and needs reviewing same as ceiling plates which where originally for Open flued boilers which generated far more heat than modern fan flue.

Your flue is prob about 2.5 metres long max supported by the boiler and clamped as it exits roof onto the trusses it is not going to move anywhere, but BG are a pain for adhering to letter of law .

Ignore Agile comments about contacting corgi they are not interested in something such as platerboard cut too big for a flue hole as it is not anything to do with safety

Thank you all for your replies.

I was rather concerned about these issues especially after the BG engineer attached a 'Dangerous Appliance - DO NOT USE' label to it.

Also tried to sell me a CO detector for nearly £40 (got one yesterday from B&q for £15)

I'm beginning to think they are basically trying to get me to pay them for work which doesn't really need doing.

105E is a really simple boiler to repair and parts are cheap they are also reliable , board £90 gas valve £85 diaphrams a tenner.

On contract with BG over 5 years you will be paying nearly £1000 ask yourself is this money well spent .

your contract covers other things on your system too though.

if you think he is trying to rip you off why not clamp the flue and fill the ceiling hole yourself? hardly difficult. did he leave you a quote for the work? i somehow doubt he did.

£14 per month = £170 per year, inc. annual service

An annual service is about £100 - so in effect i'm paying £70 per year for all parts & labour (£70 *5 = £350 over 5 years not £1000), ok so nothing may go wrong with it, but then again (it's already had a heat exchange unit replaced) suppose it's all about weighing up the risk, i fully comp. insure my car but i'v never claimed in 15 years so it's cost me thousands ££ is that worth the cost ?

your contract covers other things on your system too though.

if you think he is trying to rip you off why not clamp the flue and fill the ceiling hole yourself? hardly difficult. did he leave you a quote for the work? i somehow doubt he did.

Never said they were trying to rip me off, but £40 for a co detector is a bit over the top :eek:

Yes i will do the work myself, this thread started with me asking where to get the bits to do it.

Its BG trying to rip you off. I have spoken to several BG engineers that say the PRV pointing back into the wall is dangerous (as i do) but BG as a company make up there own rules and they get a lot of work from it, they do this as joe bloggs belives what BG say.

Look in the manufactuers instructions (or internet) for the finer points of installs, they may say you don't need a gap around the flue as its a "cold" flue and it does not need clamping unless over XX meters. If BG say one thing YOU can over rule them with the manufactuers instructions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back