Energy efficient bulbs for external security lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
People,

I have this model of external security light:-

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/62167...00W-Graphite-PIR-Sensor-Controlled-Floodlight

They do seem to get through quite alot of bulbs. Can anyone advise on a link for energy efficient bulbs which would be suitable.

I was hoping for a replacement for a normal 500W bulb.

Can anyone also advise on whether energy efficeient replacements for security light bulbs are any good and also if they get bright quickly????

Cheers

Need Help

Sponsored Links
You've brought up something that is lacking on the market- a powerfull, long life quick starting form of light for such applications simply doesn't exist. And it's a PITA.

Need Help21, ask yourself this, do you really need a 500w Light?

I would suggest you get several smaller wattage lights and a photo cell

Sponsored Links
Need Help21, I had a standard 500w floodlight for about 15 years, and it never needed a new bulb.

In fact, we got rid of the floodlight in favour of a better lighting plan (a 300w for the garden and a 150w for the patio, and a 13w CFL on a photocell by the back door)

But do you want a quick start in domestic the lamp at the back of me wakes me up each time a cat walks past it.
And no where near as much light as my 70W Nickel Metal Halide.
Plus I don't need to apply to council to use mine as under the 150W limit.

Haven't tried them myself but I would assume they lack a bright startup.

Which makes them pointless for PIR applications when full brightness is normally desirable from the off.

And as for

Why use 500 watts when you can use 24 watts?

because I want to be able to see? seriously if that thing puts out more than a quarter of the light a 500w halogen gives it'd be a miracle. It's bullsheet claims like this that gives low energy lighting a bad name and stalls it's takeup...

70W Nickel Metal Halide.

Nickel Metal Hydride?
battery_nimh.jpg

OR

Metal Halide?
qu50054640bo_Form_Body_Pulse_Start_Metal_Halide_Lamps.jpg

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Hairyben, fit some CFLs on a dusk to dawn photocell. It'll be much less annoying for your neighbours.

Megaman do some kind of clusterlight lamp, based on CFL, but I'd imagine by the time its approaching full brightness the PIR would cut it, and it would neeed an enclosure that would rival your house.

Discharge lighting such as SON and the afore mentioned Metal Halide are out too as they take a while to warm up.

I've got two 149.9W floods on seperate PIR's at the moment.

Its getting changed for a couple of 7W CFL's by the porch and a 150W Metal Halide on a switch for when I need something beefier.

Hairyben, fit some CFLs on a dusk to dawn photocell. It'll be much less annoying for your neighbours.

my neighbours are irrelevant, it's all about what the client wants. And thats a lot of light, right when they need it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back