upstairs floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be laying a tiled floor in my bathroom soon.

The floor is chipboard on the joists. I am replacing this with new caber deck chipboard that is water rated (previous stuff is not water tollerant).

Anyway, if i lay down some new chipboard, can i tile on top of this or do i need some other material between chipboard and tiles?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It is better to lay a bed of 6mm Ply on the floor nailed with 20mm Annular or Ring Shank nails every 150mm.

If you are going to replace the boards then use 25mm wbp ply not any form of chipboard.

Yes you can tile directly onto the ply.

If you overboard then 12mm is min recommended.

Sponsored Links
Get rid of the crapboard, lay new WBP. 25mm will allow you to drive a tank over it but, in most cases, 18mm is sufficient & this keeps the threashold levels the same; but it does depend on the size of the floor & how well it is supported.

If you overboard, 12mm WBP is minimum as Lance states but never use nails; screws only & make sure they go right though & fix into the joists & not just into the floor boards. Watch out for pipes & cable & only use quality trade flexible adhesive & grout.

Is that not overkill having to insist on 12mm Ply minimum and screws into the joists ?

Wow! I was not expecting this sort of answer!

I have had the xxxing chipboard sitting in my kitchen for over a year now. I bought 20 off 8 x 2 sheets of caber deck (from Ebay).

I am kind of loathed not to use it, but want to do the job right.

Regarding threshold; my floors are 22mm off the joists. The chip board is 18mm, and the tiles are about 5mm, so it would have maintained the level.

So now i need to use a load of 18mm ply instead! Will this still be ok if i lay it small sheet sizes (say 2 x 4 foot)? Its going o be hard to handle much bigger sheets on my own.

PS tiled area is only about 2 x 2 meters.

In an ideal world then yes 18mm or 25mm ply is great but in your position for a residential bathroom of 2m squared then I would lay the chipboard , fixing with screws and glue the tongues, and overlay it with 6mm ply nailed with 20mm Annular nails every 150mm. It also wont matter if you cut them down as long as you butt them up together nicely. Trust me you will not need to go any further than that in your case. Millions of homes all over GB are exactly the same and using a sledge hammer to crack a nut is not needed here.

Is that not overkill having to insist on 12mm Ply minimum and screws into the joists ?
No search the archive posts & you will see why.

Could you tell me why please? I dont know what to search for.

My worry was that the grout would crack if the chipboard was not entirly rigid, which is a problem with crapboard as you say.

dont know if it helps, but is the water resistant stuff with the plastic sheet glued to it (caber deck).

No search the archive posts & you will see why.

Could you tell me why please? I dont know what to search for.

My worry was that the grout would crack if the chipboard was not entirly rigid, which is a problem with crapboard as you say.

dont know if it helps, but is the water resistant stuff with the plastic sheet glued to it (caber deck).
I not sure exactly whose question I am answering here? I’ve given my advice on what I would do regarding replacing or over boarding chip & DAZB has given you his advice which is obviously at odds with mine. They both represent a different approach &, ultimately, a different standard; read the tiling sticky, read the archive posts & decide which is best for you.

I think your post more or less answers your own question; just nailing over ply onto chipboard means it will only ever be as rigid as the chipboard underneath. If the chip moves away from the joists so will the ply & if it curls you will get movement at any join (which should also be down the centre line of a joist), result = cracked grout &, in the case I’m referring to, cracked tiles. Plastic sheet or not, personally, I still wouldn’t use it; in fact I’m ripping a load up in an en-suite on Thursday to replace it with -------18mm WBP ply! ;)

Bal fast flex can be used directly onto a chipboard base and providing you follow the recommended fixing procedures bal guarantee it (for 25 years I think).
Obviously the boards need to be well fixed rigid fit for purpose etc.If you have the room for overlaying then it can only help stiffen the base.

So your advice is based on if the chipboard comes away from the joists. This is where common sense kicks in though isn't it. If the floor feels like it has any movement then it is obvious you would secure the boards before attempting to tile on it. My advice says fix the chipboard with screws and glue the joints. A layer of ply nailed at 6'' centres is laid on top. How can that not be adequate ? To advise ripping up a chipboard floor just because it is there and 'may' come loose is not needed. Like kev3 mentioned, if you use a flexible floor adhesive and grout they are built for the job and can cope with these conditions. My advice is based on years in the building trade and I have laid, and seen laid, hundreds of bathrooms and kitchen in this way.

My advice is also based on both sound knowledge & experience & if you read my posts again you will see that I didn’t advise the OP to “rip the chipboard up” (although I did say that’s what I do). Read the OP’s original post & you will see he’s taking the old chipboard up anyway! That being the case, why on earth go to all the trouble of laying new chipboard then overboard it with ply! “In an ideal world” you won’t get a much better chance to lay some decent WBP instead. I also gave advice on over boarding if that’s what he wanted to stick with.

The OP asked for advice, you gave him yours & I’ve given him mine &, as I said previously, we are obviously working to different standards. You do it your way & I, along with countless others, will continue do it mine which I know will leave nothing to chance. I don’t really need or want to argue with you about it; to take specific advice isn’t compulsory so let the OP do his own research, draw his own conclusions & make a decision based on his own needs.

What you are saying in effect then is that my standards are much lower than yours ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back