screwing into a hollow door

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I am trying to fix a brass robe hook to a bathroom door. It is some kind of rubbishy flush door, probably hardboard.

the plasplugs I have tried will not grip. I looked at plasterboard fixings but they are designed for a thicker material.

An extra problem is that I have a hole big enough for a brown plug, but the hook has a small screw on it that is loose in a brown plug. A red plug fits the screw but is too loose in the hole. A hook was previously fitted there but has fallen out (hence the hole).

What suggestions?

Sponsored Links
I've done quite few as they are common problem, the only winner so far for me was to stick it on with gripfill (green tube) with masking tape to hold it in position for 48 hrs depending on room temperature, Even better with the door laying down if possible and squeeze it through the hole as well or get a difference design bath rode hook slightly bigger plate to hide and reposition the damaged hole.

I've seen some planker for a joke has stuck a wooden chair with gripfill on all 4 legs on the side of wall concrete slabs in the middle. They has to use a hammer and chisel to get it off!

I don't know what the others do

I'd consider filling the hole and getting another robe hook, of the type that clips over the top edge of the door. But you may think that this is ducking the challenge.

Sponsored Links
how about using a normal brass coat hook fixed with 1/2" or 5/8" modern sharp screws. you can use it to cover the hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back