who makes b & q pro

Sponsored Links
Now I find this really hard to believe, but I have been told that they are made by Makita :eek: The source of my information is pretty sound, but I'm still undecided, wether I am having my leg pulled.

Have you been told something equally unlikely?

best i can get is ....' made in far east I use it and then throw it away '

my response ...' you must be rich then...'

answer.......' no i build it into price of job ..'

me :eek:

I also want to know who makes power tools for wickes too and I have seen WORX tools with 3yr warranty supposed to be pro tools ?

* confused so many new names who to trust ? *

Sponsored Links
every bit of b&q ive bought ive ended up taking back, so i dont waste money on it now and only buy decent qaulity to last years, but it is the perennial debate

I bought the B&Q pro plunge router
The plunge lock won't lock. The locking lever is made of soft plastic with an octagonal recess which fits over the octagonal head of a brass screw. If you try to use enough force to lock the plunge, the soft plastic deforms and turns on the screw. So I removed the plastic lever and now use a spanner, but even that is dodgy because its an octagon not a hex, so its very easy to round off the screw head. The end result is, you can't lock the plunge so your depth of cut varies.
The plunge mechanism has loads of stiction.
There is so much free play in the plunge that you can't accurately set a depth of cut.
The base is not concentric with the armature/collet. So when using a template collar, the distance from the collar OD to the cutter OD varies as you go around the template.
I could go on, but the point is it is so bad as to be unusable, it has ruined some very nice pieces of wood and I have had to replace it with something which will actually do the job.
To answer the question, I don't know who makes them but they are a waste of money.

max_depth said:
I don't know who makes them but they are a waste of money.

that is your opinion, perhaps you "got a bad one" I am nothing to do with them, its just that you bought it knowing it was cheap, so what do you expect? quality costs, it always has done and always will do.

that said, there is some expensive rubbish out there too

i have a pro 230v hammer drill. had it bout 2 years an still workin (doesnt get loads o use tho - my SDS drill gets all that)

Cheap tools are a liability to a tradesman who's time is money. Some of the gear I use I've had many years, it gets well used and abused too whereas most diy'ers tools are locked in the shed 51 weeks of the year.

A mate of mine helped me one day putting in many hundreds of 100mm screws into joists (cross joisting). He'd just bought the latest 24v cordless 'drill' from Argos and this was its first outing.

After about 20 screws it started to sound different............

After about 40 screws the gearbox exploded internally.

He took it back that same day. What a load of cr*p.

JerryD said:
After about 40 screws the gearbox exploded internally.

never forget the time my old (and well used) b&d mains drill (before cordless) the gear box went on that, i didn't know you could get that much oil into a drill.

Thing was, i wasn't using it when it went, i was in stitches when it went

nice one! I'll bet you took it to the repair shop too, "That'll be £120 to mend it sir, or you can have a new one for £29.99!" :LOL:

as it happens, no i did get another b & d one but it wasn't £30.

Someone who works for B & D told me that there drills were designed to last for 10 hours of drilling before giving up the ghost.

The small print on the B&Q pro tools says they are not designed for professional use. I bought a Jigsaw which was shocking - didn't cut straight. Took it back and said it wasn't up to 'pro' standards. They told me to sling my hook!

Always buy the best you can afford and avoid the sheds!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back