Re-flashing price

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning! I've had a bit of a roof leak which, I'm told, to repair requires re-flashing around my chimney. It's got a temporary repair on at the moment whilst I get quotes in but I don't know how much I should expect to pay.

So far I've got one quote from a well-regarded local company which is to strip ties at the chimney, dress lead flashing and retile as necessary, all for £150+vat. Is this a reasonable price? If you are a roofer, would this be about what you'd charge?

Sponsored Links
Good morning! I've had a bit of a roof leak which, I'm told, to repair requires re-flashing around my chimney. It's got a temporary repair on at the moment whilst I get quotes in but I don't know how much I should expect to pay.

So far I've got one quote from a well-regarded local company which is to strip ties at the chimney, dress lead flashing and retile as necessary, all for £150+vat. Is this a reasonable price? If you are a roofer, would this be about what you'd charge?

Only if I were starving, sounds cheap to me.

No you could barely buy the lead for that price!

the quotation you got does it mention renewing the flashing or re-dressing,
it sounds to me they are only going to do the latter.

The quote only mentions dressing the flashing as they said that the flashing itself wasn't the problem but the way that it was, or wasn't, attached to the tiles was causing the leak. Bearing this in mind, how's the price?

Sponsored Links
yes............that would be a fair enough price to strip out tiles and dress up the flashings.
2hrs work at the most.

Hi David, £150 seems too cheap. Other than situations where lead has been blown up in wind storms redressing is not normally the answer. What form did the temporary repair take? I would be cautious (two men, a van and ladders, time to job etc.) redressing an existing flashing on an average chimney would take approx 4 minutes, perhaps thats what they have in mind. How will you evaluate the success of the work on completion? Good Luck

Hi, the temporary repair was removing moss from the flashing that was about the size of a loaf of bread. What they said was the moss was blocking the water from running down the roof and, as the flashing hadn't been done properly against the tiles, the water was pooling and eventually going sidewards into the roof which caused my leak.

I can speak to them again but they said it would take a few hours and no new lead should be required. The company I'm using are Federation of Master Builders members and have been recommended to me. As for the price, I'm in Northern Scotland if that makes a difference.

Hi. David, In the light of your last post i would go ahead. My caution being a result of living in the lowlands. Good luck

i still cant by any stretch of my imagination envisage any scenario where it is going to take a few hours to dress up a bit of lead around a chimney.
especially with a tiled roof.

being members of trade organisations does not guarantee a firms integrity!
it may be the cause of your leak has already been rectified.
ie the chocked skew.
get a second opinion.

Sorry Alistair, what's a chocked skew?

I've taken your advice and got a second opinion coming on wednesday to have a look and see what they'd do to stop water coming in again. Saying that, the water ingress has stopped and we've had some pretty heavy rain last week. Thanks again for your advice, keep it coming!

Thanks Alistair. Would it be worth getting the flashing done anyway as a preventative measure to stop the water coming in if the moss builds up again? They said that if the water was blocked from running off that it could currently come into the house.

its a bit like having choked gutters, you get them cleaned out now and again, you dont replace them when choked. :)

its more a maintenance issue really. i have some customers who get a pre winter check done every year........clean gutters, check roof, clear water channels, redress lead aprons etc.
preventative maintenance!.

obviously i cant see your roof/leadwork but it sounded to me as though it was choked channels in the chimney lead flashings.
thats why you should get a 2nd opinion.

Thanks again Alistair. I see your point and probably a lack of maintenance has came into it. I'm one of a terrace of four ex-council houses and speaking to both my neighbours (one house empty), who've been here much longer than I have and they've all had similar problems with their chimneys so I'm goingto get mine done. One neighbour had theres cemented up whilst the other had the flashing sorted out so it was properly dressed to the tiles as well as the chimney. Apparantly it's quite a common fault with similar ex-council houses in my area....

Thank you once again for you advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back