Tips on Replacing old windows and doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a project whereby I have a single backdoor standard size with windows either side (ears to the door)

I intend to remove the old metal crittal frames and then cut out the old wood frames that they were set into and remove those as well.

I will then replace in UPVC the door sourced from B& Q and the windows from a seperate supplier (60mm profile on each) and I intend to use a joining strip.

Ive never done this before so mildly terrified. Does anyone have any tips. Im particularly concerned about overhead support. I was working on the basis that there must be a lintel above (I can see a soldier course of bricks above the door window). Also unsure about setting the UPVC door sill/threshold (just screws and mastic?)

Any advice greatfully recieved

Sponsored Links
The soldier courses might be tied into a cast in situ concrete lintel with wall ties.
You should really go through Building control when replacing windows yourself.

Sponsored Links
My personal advice is that don't reuse any thing. Try to use new material because it is long life and also a reliable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back