Problem with new light spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m getting strange behaviour following installing a new light in my loft. I took at spur off the main light circuit via a new junction box into another new junction box which is connected to the new switch and light. The old lights continue to work correctly, however when the new light is turned on, if one particular light in the existing circuit is on the new light will not work. If the old light is off when the new light is switched on, initially the same existing light and the new light glow dimly before the existing light goes out and the new light lights up fully. Again if the existing light is then turned on the new light goes out. Any thoughts on what may be wrong would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
i am not sure on this, but could you have possibly fitted your new junction box on the cable going to the existing light switch, and not on the loop cable between ceiling roses.

I would agree, the new light is connected to live and switched live of an existing light

Sponsored Links
Thanks that does look to be the case. I did use a tracer but for some strange reason it looks like it gave incorrect readings (on rechecking any time it went near the loft insulation it thought it found a live wire!).

Anyway I will take a spur off another point in the loop circuit and hopefully have no more problems

thanks again

coldjay said:
Thanks that does look to be the case. I did use a tracer but for some strange reason it looks like it gave incorrect readings (on rechecking any time it went near the loft insulation it thought it found a live wire!).
They will also light up if you rub them on your jumper...

Do a search here for voltstick, neon screwdriver etc to see in what high esteem they are held.

And buy a multimeter....

Interestingly after having searched the old threads the tracer I was talking about is one of the voltsticks you mention in a previous thread and is exactly the same as the image you pasted in. I think I may consider it useless in the loft and buy a multimeter

thanks again

Yo.

Voltsticks are better than nothing, I guess, but they can give false readings. If you're only gong to have 1 tool, a multimeter it definitely is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back