Just finished laying EDPM roof but..........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Only a small 3 x 3 metre roof. Found it quite easy to lay, just followed the DvD supplied. However I was a bit naffed that there had to be 3 pieces of EDPM, one on top of the other, at the gutter edge which actually affects the fall. It is a bit late to find that out once it is all glued down. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Anybody else found this a problem?

Sponsored Links
Only a small 3 x 3 metre roof. Found it quite easy to lay, just followed the DvD supplied. However I was a bit naffed that there had to be 3 pieces of EDPM, one on top of the other, at the gutter edge which actually affects the fall. It is a bit late to find that out once it is all glued down. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Anybody else found this a problem?

Hmm, weird. No mention of this on the Firestone EPDM course? :confused: Then again, I didnt go on it, i'll ask the lads tomorrow.

Maybe its three layers on the edge instead of a piece of edging/gutter trim?

I used Quicktrim from Permaroof for the gutter drip

www.permaroof.co.uk/quicktrim.asp

The membrane is just lapped into the trim and a piece then clipped in which holds the membrane secure on the roof edge, and forms the drip into the gutter

Yep, I used quick trim for the upstands.

Then a seperate 15cm strip which hangs down into the gutter, then on top of that a 500mm length which is attached to a batten across the length and folded back from the gutter edge, then finally the main EPDM sheet which is bonded to the 500mm layer right up to the gutter edge.

I can see the principle behind it but it resulted in a 5mm flattening of the fall at the gutter edge.

Sponsored Links
So, you didn't use the quicktrim gutter drip?

The issue with the [gutter] edge is a common one and can exist on other flat roofs where a different cover is used.

The concept is that most of the water will fall off, and what little does remain will evaporate or not otherwise be a problem. But it can be come an issue if the roof structure does generally settle slightly over time.

I suppose this issue could be designed out with an extra 3-5mm ply board on the deck, but not right upto the gutter edge where it can be kept back so that the edge trim and extra layer of membrane end up flush with the deck surface, and then the top sheet just goes over the lot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back