is this garage base laid right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my eldery mother has decided to get a new garage n she needed a bigger base so she got a bilder into lay it n i saw it a week later. it doesnt look like it would support a car too me its very loose and can b easily dug away wih a peice of wood. is this normal? the builder said he has a sealer to go on top after garage is built but still doesnt look right and my mum is panicked. theres some pictures i took of it in the folder would appreaciate n e help or advice

luke

Sponsored Links
No amount of sealer is going to stop that surface wearing away in a short time. It is correct that sealer can be applied to some concrete floors to keep the dust down, but I suspect that the builder is spinning a yarn in this case

The concrete should have been tamped or trowelled to give a much harder, smoother, less granular surface.

If those pictures are indicative of the rest of the surface, then it is a substandard job and needs to be rectified before parting with any money.

Please, please, please luke, for the love of all things sacred do not type in TEXT SPEAK!

It's infuriating. :evil:

Is that floor supposed to be a finished concrete floor slab?

im sorry i try not to type in short hand but it sometimes sneaks into the conversation. it is supposed to be finished with the exception of the sealer hes putting on top which he said he will do after the people come to erect the garage. the darker bit is because he had to come back and add an extra 2 feet onto it because he had only made it 14 feet when she had asked for 16 feet. also its only around 2 inches deep should it be deeper? underneath it is the old smaller concrete base from the original garage i dont think they dug that up. gosh i would like to apologize im not very good at explaining things. thanx again for any help.

i thikn its supposed to be a slab, she asked for a base for a garage so i would assume its a slab.

Sponsored Links
Hi luke, what your builder has done is woefully inadequate. The slab should be minimum 100mm (4") with an well compacted sub-base. It needs re-doing unfortunately. As for tamping and floating...... :rolleyes:

hth

i dont know how they done that!!! but that aint no slab!! 2" deep. hope you havent paid them.
who is building the garage?
that rubbish will need lifted and done properly.

waste of time effort and money that will break up in no time once a car goes over it. Do NOT pay any more money. Tell them your concerns and ask them what they will do about it.

Luke did he mix the concrete himself? If so, you have no idea of the proportion of cement he used.

The cement costs for concrete are a significant amount of the total cost, so cowboys will often reduce the amount in the mix to save money and also time as weak mixes of concrete are quicker and easier to work in the cement mixer.

Looks like hes laid a bit of screed over the top, cant see any coarse aggregate, also looks like it way laid as a dryish mix as you would screed

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back