PLanning drawings machine / website ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know of a website that i can use to get some drawings done on the computer ?
Nothing special. I just want something for my builder to quote from so nothing major needed.
I had a great one for bathrooms and kitchens so i know they are out there .
thanks

Sponsored Links
Are you asking for a place who will do them for you, or a site that holds software for you can download and do the plans yourself?
Usually builders go from proper plans that are scaled and they measure from them (well our cad designers and builders do).
If you're drawing it ad-hoc then you need to put in every singel measurement to help your builder quote accurately.
In the end, proper plans are best.

But, still not sure if that is what you were asking, sorry. :oops: :D

when you say 'drawings' do you mean architectural drawings for extension works?

Sponsored Links
In the time it takes to download some software you could draw your template and block on a piece of A3.

Then in the time it takes to learn, you could knock up some drawings with a ruler and pen.

The builder will have no more information and be no cheaper if the drawings are done on CAD

Well it almost certainly wouldn't be cheaper on cad, but the builder would have exactly what he needs, thats why proper plans are done with proper software; to supply ALL relevent info be they regs or not, so that the builder can quote accurately.
Don't be surprised if you get a quote way off the mark, if your builder hasn't got absolutely every detail needed.

Its for your own benefit in the long run.

Luckily for me as i work with cad planners i had one drawn up for my extension, my builder then used 'EasyPricePro' (yeah its expensive), it has a usb pen which scans the correctly scale drawn plan and calculates and quotes down to the nearest nail and screw. He's won no end of jobs due to client's stating that his quotes were spot on where others said "aaah...that would be extra!"

I know its not quite the same scenario for you, but it just shows how important the detail is to the quoter in order to provide you with an accurate cost without nasty suprises further down the line.

CAD makes no difference at all to how a drawing is priced. It can look pretty, but often CAD drawings are no more helpful. CAD is only useful for repetitive work or making complex or time consuming changes

The information for a quote is in the specification text, annotation and number of doors, windows and other items, and dimensions.

No one needs to see a pretty foundation section, they just need to know how deep and how wide the footings are and what construction method is to be used.

Site conditions and access are other factors, and the material quantities are just one of several factors used to build up a price.

Easy Price Pro is no guarantee of winning a job. All it does is quantify materials, and is not a factor in winning work - its just a time saver for the quoter.

A good builder will have done loads of similar jobs and will be able to price new work based on previous work - which is the most accurate way of pricing any job.

All he needs to do is see if, and by how much a job differs from past jobs, and then just work out the difference.

For an extension for example, all the OP needs to do is draw rectangles for the elevations, a triangle for the roof, rectangles for openings and thats it. Then put some dimensions on it

Then he annotates this with construction types, materials, and location of services etc, and any other specifics (like kitchen and bathroom suites) and thats it.

Woody, not sure if we are actually arguing with each other here or not. I'm not saying cad does those things for you etc, and especially not in the op's case as he doesn't know cad. But a good cad designer can lay it down very accurately with clear and concise annotations and blocks that are clear and concise to a seasoned builder.
Easy price pro doesn't guarantee work, i agree, i never actually said that it does, i was just exampling that i know one of many builders who use this method and as its so accurate for pricing they often win jobs, because other builders have approximated costs, and often 'missed' things in their breakdown, which they then try to add later, thus upsetting the client with extra costs. This was a direct example that my builder friend gave me yesterday as to why the software has paid for itself many times over in the 4 months he's had it.

At the end of the day, if you know what you want, and know how you want it doing and can give detailed specs etc, then as you say a drawing would be fine, but you DO need to know those details.
[tongue in cheek]Just drawing a playschool house with little pointy arrows saying 'wall' with a matchstick man standing next to it, may not get you want you want. :) [/tongue in cheek]

kjacko, there's nothing wrong with hand drawn drawings for an extension, its down to the draughtsman plain and simple. A hand drawn drawing can be every bit as clear and concise as a CAD one esp for an extension. How many small builders have Easy price pro anyway?

:rolleyes: Jesus.....
dude in my posts above i never once said there was anything wrong with a hand drawn plan. I keep re-stating that whatever method you use you must have as much details as possible for an accurate quote to be given.

Cad is the alternate way of doing it, that's all. Some find it easier because annotations are typed and lines are drawn by computer not by hand which could cause legibility issues for some.

I have no preference or bias, i simply stated the alternative!

As for EasyPricePro, again an example without bias, i'm not a builder, i've just seen how easy it make quotes when working from cad plans.
My friend is a 'small builder' and have just spoken to him for clarification. The 1st job he quoted for using it won him the job as it was detailed and accurate. It was acutally £1000 more than the other quote the client got, but then 'extras' started creeping from the other quoter in and the client got cold feet so gave the work to my friend as his presentation and quote was more professional.

This is all just my experience from working with cad designers and from seeing how my friend quoted for jobs.

...its down to the draughtsman plain and simple
Agreed!

Well it almost certainly wouldn't be cheaper on cad, but the builder would have exactly what he needs, thats why proper plans are done with proper software; to supply ALL relevent info be they regs or not, so that the builder can quote accurately.
Don't be surprised if you get a quote way off the mark, if your builder hasn't got absolutely every detail needed.

:rolleyes: Jesus.....
dude in my posts above i never once said there was anything wrong with a hand drawn plan.

You do though seem to be implying a hand drawn drawing may miss vital elements out whereas a CAD drawing would'nt. Whether the OP is capable of producing a package of information capable of acurate pricing by any means is another debate altogether.

ok, well, then its just a misunderstanding.
Obviously (one would hope) a cad planner working in the industry should be able to draw and supply ALL the necessary info.
I wasn't implying what you thought i was implying, it's as you said, down to the skill/knowledge of the draughtsperson.
:)

The construction industry is full of CAD monkeys who are very technically adept at using the software, but not so hot on actual detailing. Can't beat the old and bold who once had to hand draw and now use the programs.

ever so slightly off-topic...... the guy i work with, not 10ft from me, does fire alarm work for Freddie Mercury's brother-in-law and mother here in Nottingham.

Ok, we can go back on topic now :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back