New Roof or Re-use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had the house for 6 years and pay a couple hundred quid every year getting the roof repaired, slipped slates due to nail rot.

The house has the original slate roof since 1907, no membrane just something that looks like mortar with horsehair..

The roofer I usually use has retired, but did say last time tha the slate was in good nick..

Just getting fed up paying out for repairs...

Would a roofer be happy to to re-use the existing slate and replace the nails etc..or would I have to go down the full reroofing line...

Regards,

Ian

Sponsored Links
Yes a roofer would quite happily reuse the existing slates!
the existing roof would be stripped off and any unbroken slates saved and graded ready for reuse.
the felt would then be replaced and new lathing installed.
depending on the condition of the slates a percentage would have to be allowed for wastage.

Thanks for the reply...

Roughly (on average) what wastage is there?

Had a quick count of a neighbours roof and I think there is around 500 slates per side (average size terrace house, up and over)..

Getting a few quotes over the next few days...If they recommended a new roof what should I stay away from...

Sponsored Links
500 slates a side.......they must be some size of slates!

you may lose 20% trying to recycle, maybe less depending on type of slate, how heavy they are etc.

get quotes through recomendations if possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back