Building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will soon be removing a downstairs kitchen chimney breast( to add more space) which is on an outside wall, the upstairs chimney breast and stack have already been removed by the previous owners of the house some ten years ago.when i reach the inner outside wall can anyone advise me on the best way to insulate the wall against damp before plastering takes place ,is their a special type of wall board that may help,i will also be adding a radiator to this wall which may help. :!:

Sponsored Links
If the property has cavity walls then the outer skin will be separate from the inner, and/or the breast.

If the property has solid walls then it will all be the same when the breast is removed.

So either way, no damp prevention work is required.

But if any part of the flue or inner stack bricks will form the inner face, then you need to take precautions against bleed through of acid solution. So you may need to use a suitable sealer on the bricks or plaster

Some of the older cavity walled houses had a single skin at the back of the flue rather than a cavity as in modern houses. If this is the case you will need to build an inner skin.

Some of the older cavity walled houses had a single skin at the back of the flue rather than a cavity as in modern houses. If this is the case you will need to build an inner skin.

If this is the case what has been done on the floor above? i.e. what is supporting the inner skin above once you take the breast down below?

Did you need permission by the way ?

Sponsored Links

If this is the case what has been done on the floor above? i.e. what is supporting the inner skin above once you take the breast down below?

Did you need permission by the way ?

Will be taking the floor boards up at the weekend to see what needs to be done, if needed i will put a new joist in to support the parts of the floor that require them.

The previous owners of the house had already removed the upstairs chimney and stack so i presume to remove the bottom chimney breast should not require permmision as their is no risk of anything collapsing.

If the property has cavity walls then the outer skin will be separate from the inner, and/or the breast.

If the property has solid walls then it will all be the same when the breast is removed.

So either way, no damp prevention work is required.

But if any part of the flue or inner stack bricks will form the inner face, then you need to take precautions against bleed through of acid solution. So you may need to use a suitable sealer on the bricks or plaster

The propety is about 60 years old it has about a meter of cavity wall at the bottom which was filled about ten years ago, then above that is solid two bricks thick as last year i put a extractor fan in the kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back