Cracks in a house we're looking to buy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had an offer accepted on a property, a survey was done and reported that there were no signs of movement and no further investigations were needed.

The lender has decided to do an audit valuation, and this has found there are cracks in the mortar of the exterior walls. There are instances where one or two bricks have a hairline crack through them. The cracks in the mortar seem to step down from the top of the house.

We've looked at the other houses on the estate, and they all show exactly the same signs.

The point is, the lender now wants a structural engineer to compile a report. What I'm wondering is if these sorts of cracks are serious, or are they normal? I have a feeling they could easily just be re-pointed.

The house was built in the 70's with what seems to be a light grey type of brick.

There is a double patio door on one side of the house, which looks like it's had the bricks above it replaced fairly recently when the door was fitted, this suffers from cracks between the new bricks and the old bricks, again, is this serious or just considered normal settling?

Any advice would be appreciated.

EDIT: I found this image on google and it looks exactly like the cracks in the house we want to buy http://www.foundationinspectors.com/stairstepcrack.jpg
and like this, but no where near as bad
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_U3PeViMn2pw/SD9VTSfxEwI/AAAAAAAABF8/exRggQgKnrA/DSC01306.JPG

Sponsored Links
Every house has cracks

Why weren't these picked up on your first survey? Was it because they are insignificant?

A valuation survey is done by some clueless valuation surveyor, who can not normally tell his r's from his elbow.

Can't you get the first surveyor to clarify that the cracks are not an issue?

The alternative is that the cracks have appeard after the first survey and the house is subsiding. :eek: LOL, no not really ... a bit unlikely

The people that did the first survey are a bit cagey and say the lender needs to contact them. I suspect though it's because there are minor, like I say, all the houses on the estate have them, so if they were a major problem I suspect they would have been picked up on a long time ago.

If you paid this first firm for a survey, then you are entitled for an explanation of the report and clarification of why any cracks were not noted.

They are wrong to say that the lender should contact them. The lender is a third part and by rights should not be privy to the report, and have no business dealing with the survey firm directly unless you give permission - its the same for the survey firm disclosing your report.

Get your answers from the survey firm first, then if it will help, ask the two of them to deal directly.

But if it wont help, then don't let the two start chatting to each other.

If the survey firm did not pick up things which they would have been expected to pick up, then you have a complaint against them.

Sponsored Links
Rusting tie irons can cause joint cracks or course separation and is usually evident at the less weighty parts of a building, i.e. 1st floor brickwork between windows, small return corners etc.

Even the old iron downpipe gutter brackets could lift brickwork.

Then again, it may be nowt.

Only a good surveyor can eliminate the obvious.

Structural engineer has confirmed that the cracks are not serious. They seem to be as a result of new windows and doors being put in a few years back, as some of the bricks have been replaced. He called it 'slippage'.

Up shot is, the cracks simply need re-pointing and will probably cost about £200.

At least our mortgage company will be happy now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back