He knows you know, does Noseall...

Hounding of the Secretary of State by cement manufacturers, fearing widespread redundancies and the end of their businesses? ;)

Sponsored Links
To provide a measure of stability in the temporary condition, before the application of a vertical load.

To stop pikies thieving the bricks during the night.

To make brickies think that there's something speshul in their craft (joke, joke!!!).

To provide a weaker material that is gradually eroded and can be relatively easily repaired during the building's lifetime.

To provide a more permeable path for moisture out of the masonry, so that it doesn't get trapped in there and blow the faces.

To make them act homogeneously-ish.

Beyond that FIIK!

to prevent spot loads?
Nope.

Hounding of the Secretary of State by cement manufacturers, fearing widespread redundancies and the end of their businesses? ;)
Nah, this would have been mid 90's and the construction industry was in rude health from what I remember. :D

The answer he required was actually very simple :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Both, otherwise every brick would have to be the perfect size and shape.
Even ashlar blocks need a joint to keep them level.

Cumon then, put us out of our misery!
I will Shy, later tonight if no one guesses in the meantime.

I was at an advantage over the other students as I had been/was working at a builders' merchants and therefore had an excellent product knowledge of bricks / blocks and their differing tolerances ;) .

To stop the possibility of capillary action through small gaps between brick faces?

I'm getting desperate now lol

To stop the possibility of capillary action through small gaps between brick faces?

I'm getting desperate now lol

Do you mean rising damp, ;)

Getting back to the OP, and purely from a laymans pov, could the reason be that without cement the lateral strength of the structure would be greatly reduced, ie it would be much easier to remove the bricks?

To take up any expansion / contraction between the masonry and any fittings - windows or doors and so on, as well as differing expansion rates of the masonry itself ?

Front of structure gets hot in sun - back is still cold etc etc ?

Both, otherwise every brick would have to be the perfect size and shape.
Sorry Stuart our posts must have crossed and I went off :oops: . Yep, that's what he was after.

Q. Why incorporate mortar beds when constructing in traditional masonry?
A. Because bricks and blocks of the same specification are not all the same size and shape.

The effect of this is two fold:-

i. Bedding them on mortar allows these irregularities to be tolerated and the coursings remain level. It also ensures that the loads imposed from above are uniformly distributed as there are no beds with air voids which could lead to stresses/fractures in the structure. I am sure Shy can summarise this far better than I have :confused:

ii. As pointed out earlier by woody, walls built out of traditional masonry without mortar beds and perps would suffer from draughts and damp through driven rain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back