New Boiler: Plumber access regulations...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We're renovating our flat and will be replacing the existing gas boiler. It is situated under the stairs which are used in the communal entrance but is accessed through our flat. We would like to extend the bathroom into the space that this access area currently occupies and instead put a door in the pannelling under the stairs in the communal area to access the boiler.

We've checked with the other freeholders and have permission to do this, but want to know if there are any regulations surrounding access conditions to the boiler. The area that the boiler will occupy will be at head height but the ceiling will then sharply slope down with the stairs. The door way entering this space will be a wedge shape also following the flow of the stairs and one may need to duck a bit to enter the space.

I'd be grateful if anyone could let us know if this sounds non-regulation.

Many thanks,

Douglas

Sponsored Links
Location sounds okay to me but you're going to need to upgrade the fire resistance of the compartment. Because of the change to the communal stairway you may need building permission to carry out the work.

Mike

I think that there is a little known regulation about gas meters under stairs where the building has more that one upstairs floor and probably when only one stairs down.

It may be a building regulation rather than a gas regulation but some others may be able to elaborate.

I only remember it in relation to gas meters rather than boilers.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back