Returning damp?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Bought the house just under 2 years ago and had to replace the original flooring in the front room due to damp, joists were touching the soil (chalk) beneath and had got dry rot. Problem was compounded by the wall construction (cavity wall on a house built in 1889), as the cavity was full of soil to about 1 foot above the slate DPC.

Now it seems like the damp may be returning, I'm getting very light mould growth on the mdf backs of a set of shelves either side of the chimney breast.

I was wondering if putting in floor vents in where the damp seems to be to ensure good airflow in the sub floor was going to help the situation? I've tried to include as much detail as possible in the diagram, does anyone have any ideas on how to sort this without resorting to major work?

If anyone needs any more info please let me know, thanks for any help.

e_v

Sponsored Links
First you have to determine if the mould on the furniture is related to condensation or penetrating damp.

Condensation itself may be caused by penetrating damp, so you really need to determine what problem(s) you have.

If the external ground is bridging a DPC and allowing moisture into the inside, then you have to remove the bridge or provide a physical barrier.

If the under floor requires venting or if the room itself required ventilation, then, well ...... you vent it.

Most of it is common sense, but the hard bit is determining what problem you actually have

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back