Asbestos problem (very bad builder!) please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hi had an asbestos roof and had this removed from a builder I found through a 'so called' friend! I bought him the appropriate plastic sheet material and duct tape so that he could individually wrap each sheet seperately.

BUT.....

When I got home from work i found out he SMASHED the ASBESTOS into smaller pieces and actually made 'home made' bags out of my plastic sheet materials and used the duct tape at the top to kind of seal it up!!!!

Of course I did'nt pay this guy for doing it and now I am having a hard time getting the council to come take it. Also, i think there is too much for them to take as there was some more which i removed from the floor of a shared passage between mine and my neighbours houses. (im not sure how much you can have per household).

Also, I live in Waltham Forest in London and not sure if any tips will take it.

Any ideas on what I should do next?

Sponsored Links
Tell the council you took it down yourself and they will remove it for you.

The first 50kg's are usually free, anything over they will still take it but charge you for it. The Councils rates will still be a tad cheaper than an independant collector so you may as well give the whole job to them.

[EDIT] Just found THIS link

Tell the council you took it down yourself and they will remove it for you.

The first 50kg's are usually free, anything over they will still take it but charge you for it. The Councils rates will still be a tad cheaper than an independant collector so you may as well give the whole job to them.

[EDIT] Just found THIS link

Thanks for that. But does it have to be in a safe manor or in small bags? The sacks the builder made with my sheets are real heavy and will take two men to lift them. Theres about 10 of them.

Sponsored Links
Phone your council and ask. No-one else is qualified to say what tyhey want.

if you open the bags and wet the material with a watering can (drop of washing-up liquid helps) it will not make dust while it is wet. Then you can lift out the larger pieces and seal them into stout bags (you are supposed to double-wrap it)

don't shake the dust and fragments out, just re-seal and put into new bags.

If it is damp when sealed in polythene, it will stay damp and not make dust.i

gloves, dust mask and washing your overalls and boots will do no harm, though many will say it is unnecessary with asbestos cement.

Remember to wash your hair afterwards as it holds dust.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back