Good deal on Makita mitre saw

Sponsored Links
That is an excellent price. I remember they went down to sub £100 in B&Q and screwfix some time ago but not the £80 mark. Although factor in postage and you're paying similar amounts...

Picked one up last September for £85. It's been a really good buy and I've taken it on a couple of new builds with me (for 2nd fix, i.e. skirtings, archtraves, etc). The standard blade is really good for MDF.

It has a couple of downsides, though: the dust back is on a flimsy plastic fitting secured by a single tiny screw. That lasted all of one week on site. Adjusting the zero point on the mitre cut is a bit of a faff, although to be honest no worse than the Makita LS1040 this saw replaced. Other than that I can't fault it. Good price. Good buy!

Sponsored Links
As just a commoner DIYer it amazes me that some products have such overly inflated prices just because of their name.
It only has a 130mm cross-cut.
My, dare i say it, Macallister, cost me £129 3 years ago, has laserline, has a 280mm cross-cut, hasn't faulted once and has been asked to do much more than i'd ever planned for it.
I've layed laminate flooring in 3 large rooms, totalling about 78sqm and used the mitresaw to cut just about every board. All still with the same original blade. Its also cut thrown nearly 20 7x2 tiber joists without complaining.
I don't doubt i'd get even better performance if i invested in a better blade, but my point is, that this Makita saw was top side of £100 not so long ago and yet is still limited to cutting skirting boards no deeper than 130mm.

Just curious; do you reckon i've been extra lucky with mine, or am i right in thinking some manufactures just hype the price because of the name?

Your average Diyer won't notice the difference between a cheap make and a good one as they don't give the tools as much use. You say you've laid laminate in 3 rooms and cut nearly 20 joists. This is less than a weeks work by a professional.

I've tried cheap tools and they just don't cut it when you rely on them day in day out. The cheap cost is far outweighed by the loss of productivity when the tool fails miles from the nearest tool shop.

Your average Diyer won't notice the difference between a cheap make and a good one as they don't give the tools as much use. You say you've laid laminate in 3 rooms and cut nearly 20 joists. This is less than a weeks work by a professional.

I've tried cheap tools and they just don't cut it when you rely on them day in day out. The cheap cost is far outweighed by the loss of productivity when the tool fails miles from the nearest tool shop.

Yeah i guess this is the real issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back