noisy central heating/boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,my central heating system has developed a very loud noise.it appears to come from the boiler which is in the garage below the bathroom.when i start the heating within 20 secs the noise ,which is loudest in the bathroom,becomes unbearable.last wednesday the whole system was powerflushed but the noise is still there.the plumber said its an old boiler and it will make lots of noise(suprima 50,installed since 1999,microbore).he changed the pump as he said mine was not pumping correctly,he also adjusted the burner pressure to 10.3 millibars as he said it was to low.the noise is far worse since he worked on the system.the only way i can get the noise to a bearable level is to turn the burner pressure down half a turn.im wondering if this is a sign of a blockage as the water in the heat exchanger is heating up but not circulating correctly.i also constantly have air in one radiator upstairs and from the system bleed valve next to the tank.ive removed the heat exchanger and flushed it out as best i could but it seemed quite clean after the power flush.can anyone suggest a permanent fix as im going mad.any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
pump bled,rads bled,valve next to hot water cylinder bled.still noisy if i turn burner pressure back up.noise sounds like jet engine,also in rads sounds like water dripping(like a tap).

not a corgi,just the only way to get some peace is to turn the screw to make the flames smaller thus generating less heat and system noise becomes beararble but obviously the rads dont get very hot so it is not a permanent fix just the only way at present to get some peace .i respect i shouldnt touch it but what can i do.the so called corgi engineer left it like this and he is the last person i want to touch it again hence im here trying to get some advice.

You are correct - don't play!

Get a better RGI.
Maybe one of the RGIs on here may live near you and be willing to come and fix it for you.
Best to give a little idea where in Essex you are - the town ?

All Greek to me:cool:

I'm sure that one will be along later - when they arise out of their pits :)

I have posted this in the Combustion Chamber for you

Sounds like the boiler is kettling to me, turn the system off then try closing all the radiator vavles on both sides except the furthest and highest one from the boiler and switch the pump to its highest setting. Check that there is water in the header tank, switch on the systems and see it it forces any trappped air from the boiler, if this does the trick the air that may mave been trapped should find its way to the radiator that you have left on. Turn the system off, bleed that radiator and then in turn open the valves on the other radiators bleeding them as you go. Turn the system back on and hopfully your problem would have gone.

I know you said the pumps the right way round but is the boiler connected the right way round. From cold fire the boiler and check to see which of the pipes get hot first, it should be the one on the left as you look at the boiler. Also turn of the bathroom radiator just in case it is connected across the primaries. Don't advise you to play around with gas pressures. Can't you get the guy back the flushed it.

fan is fine,the guy has been back and fitted a new pump.his diagnosis is that its an old boiler and will make lots of noise,then he said he was partially deaf and it did not sound to bad to him.had someone else out and they have agreed it is very noisy and after a while have dianosed the noise as the heat exchanger.thanks for eveybodys help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back