gas operative wanting too go it alone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently working for a fireplace company as a fireplace fitter but would like too start my own business what does it take too be privately corgi/gas safe registered and what insurances do i need. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Stupidity in the current climate :LOL:

it is hard for us established to keep getting new work at the moment. I wouldn't start up a new business at the moment (in fact just off loaded my other business) if it were me

start up costs include

personal insurance
liability insurance
gas registration
poss other registrations
advertising
stationery
National insurance
VAT (when you reach the rate)
telephone home/ofice and mobile
vehicle purchase, tax and insurance

sorry but the list goes on :oops: :oops:

Good ambition, hopefully your not working for C&H !
Previous post is correct.
Probably a bad time to start right now as it takes time to get established.
Depends what contacts you've got and what experiance you have.
If you're good at installs - repairs, boilers fires cookers shouldn't have too much of a problem.

Public Liability, gas safe registration away you go !
Find out when your local yellow pages comes out most of my work is recommendations and repeat buisness but the yellow pages pays for itself and is always bringing work in.

But there is no shortage out there if I dont answer a telephone call from a new customer you can guarantee if i ring back in two minutes the jobs gone !

Make no mistake your selling yourself when you go self employed, sell your self you'll get work. working for a employer its 8.00 till 4.00, 24/7 when you work for yourself ! you've been warned !

yeah, sometimes its great but most of the time its a pain in the ass, like customers phoning at 10 oclock on a sunday night to get a quote for having a hob fitted (and you've still goto be polite)!

I had a bloke phone me once at around 9.30 on a friday night who complained that i was in the pub when he wanted me to look at his boiler, called me irrisponable, cheeky git

Sponsored Links
If you only do fires, I would strongly advice not to start on your own at the moment.
As you know better than I , fitting a fire to spec is fraught with problems. Installing or replacing a fire today means that piping, ventilation and flueing/chimney need to comply with today's spec.
In reality that means 80% of the jobs you go to, you either price yourself out of it, or you have to work below standards.
My maintrade is central heating, and despite the fact that profits are under pressure, I will not even consider quoting for installing a fire. doing a cp12 or a service is one thing, installing is another.
I really don't believe you will survive on your own, at least not for the coming few years, if you only do fires. Keep your job, and keep your boss happy.

yeah, sometimes its great but most of the time its a pain in the ass, like customers phoning at 10 oclock on a sunday night to get a quote for having a hob fitted (and you've still goto be polite)!

I had a bloke phone me once at around 9.30 on a friday night who complained that i was in the pub when he wanted me to look at his boiler, called me irrisponable, cheeky git

I gave an old lady (not my customer) a right ear full for disturbing my Sunday. She said "I'd like to talk to you about my taps"

I said "IT'S 9 OCLOCK ON A SUNDAY EVENING AND YOU WANT TO TALK TO ME ABOUT TAPS?"

She got the message.

When I go back on my own I'll work off an answer phone. Nobody will get me instantly. Then I can control things, if I have sufficient work I'll do nothing about anyone's calls whoever they are. I say that now to people who think they own me so expect a call back > I just say I have a commitment to the people whose' jobs I am busy with to focus on them until I have finished. Once my current obligations are met I shall be able to respond to other callers.

Paul Barker";p="1207333 said:
When I go back on my own I'll work off an answer phone. Nobody will get me instantly. Then I can control things, if I have sufficient work I'll do nothing about anyone's calls whoever they are. I say that now to people who think they own me so expect a call back > I just say I have a commitment to the people whose' jobs I am busy with to focus on them until I have finished. Once my current obligations are met I shall be able to respond to other callers.

wish i was busy enough to be in that position!! currently if someone phones me at 11 on a sunday night i'd take the call!!

I had a bloke phone me once at around 9.30 on a friday night who complained that i was in the pub when he wanted me to look at his boiler, called me irrisponable , cheeky git

And rightfully so.
Weekend after 8pm is triple rate, and hours count from door to door.
It really is irresponsible to let so much money go lost, when the economy is in a steep decline.

wish i was busy enough to be in that position!! currently if someone phones me at 11 on a sunday night i'd take the call!!

you're quite right.

What I think the problem is it's the same as when you were younger geting a girlfriend. When you haven't got one none are interested in you, when you have one there are a few girls wanting to talk to you.

If I was sat at home waiting for the phone to ring it wouldn't, but since I have no time all the old customers come out of the woodwork.

But actually talking to friends it seems the girlfriend shortage has been solved, by all accounts women are more up for it than when I was courting, if you don't go to home base first date they think you're gay!

most of my mates are going through that stage where the wife leaves them with the kids, but they don't really care because they weren't geting any marital rights. then they are finidng these women who do absolutely everything you ever heard of and some stuff you never knew about.

I'm Ok in the marital rights department thank you very much and all those things these new women are doing I'll just have to wait until heaven to experience.

Sponsored Links
Back