Bathroom Light/FAN switch help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After trying to replace a cord on a bathroom ceiling pull switch (I apologise for getting any terminology wrong but I have little experience :oops: ) things went belly up. I need to replace the whole unit as the old one fell to pieces but am having problems.

The switch in question operated both the light and an extractor fan .i.e when switched on both came on. From the ceiling there are two grey cables each containing an earth, red and black (with red casing) wire. The old switch casing had 5 terminals, both earths in one and the remaining 4 in seperate ones. I have been unable to find one the same as the old and the new switch i have got has only four terminals (earth, L1,L2 and com). Is it possible to connect the 6 wires into these four and where would they go.

At the moment I have isolated the lighting circuit ,is it safe to turn this backon whilst not having a switch in place.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Can you describe the terminals on the old switch?? Does it say DP anywhere on the reverse??

I think you have a Double Pole switch there.

did the terminals have any labeling and if so what wire was connected to each terminal?

Matticus said:
(earth, L1,L2 and com). Is it possible to connect the 6 wires into these four and where would they go.

is looks like you have a 2 way switch. you need a double pole switch. for now, you can use this switch to power only the light. 1 wire will connect to com and the other wire will connect to L1. ull have to connect it and switch the circuit on to see if you got the cable feeding the light and not the fan. make sure the other wire is taped up or the ends in a terminal block

EDIT:, when i say 1 wire to com and 1 wire to L1, i mean 1 core or one of the twin and earths

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick replies

unfortunately can find no dp markings on the switch. As for terminals, in between two is the word 'IN' and this is where the red wires went, no other markings can be found

Any ideas where i can get a dp switch ?

No lights control the same fan, it is just that single switch.

plugwash said:
sounds like the two sides of the switch were in use to seperately switch the fan and the light

i do wonder why it was done this way though

?:
fanwiring.jpg

yes thats one possibilty

another is two lights off the fan

another is the fan could actually be fed from another cuircuit

Managed to get a dp switch, layout is

T1-L T2-L
T3-N T4-N

T=terminal
load ( T1/T3)and supply (T2/T4) markings between terminal sets.

Is this suitable for what i require and if so any advice on which wires go to which terminal.

Cheers

Frankly, if you don't know the difference between supply and load. or what the switch is doing inside, you shouldn't be doing this....

connect one cable to the two terminals maked L the other cable to the two terminals marked N

Thanks everybody for all your help.

The light and the fan now switch on and off together again so problem solved. :LOL:

Ban-all-sheds. Everybody has to start somewhere and the only way you learn, is to ask for peoples advice whose expertise is greater than yours. I appreciate that it is not wise for people to attempt to try things they do not fully understand (especially when electricity is involved) hence my wanting a firm grasp of what I had to do and an explanation of the terminolgy used. From the responses here and other research I felt with some guidance that this was a job within my capabilities.

a double pole switch is eseentially two seperate switches which always switch together

its usual use is to isolate both the live and neutral of a load and the markings reflect this (supply for the supply from the mains load for the device connected L and N for live and neutral)

however it can also be used to switch two items at the same time whilst keeping them electrically seperate and this is what has been done in this case

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back