Temperature control knob on Vaillant eco Tec Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Tony says, there should be no need to further adjust either dhw or heating, unless the knobs broke while turning it down.

As all boilers since 2005 have to have appropriate external controls to comply with Part L Building regs, heating should be adjusted and turned on/off by these.

Please be reminded that technically only a RGI can remove the front casing as it forms part of the 'room seal' of the appliance. Also PCB damage and risk of electrical shock if you open the PCB housing.

Sorry to state the obvious!

Bunny

Well , here are some obvious facts too :
1) this is a DIY site, not a 'tell them they are breaking "Part L builldings regs" site.
2) Part L Building regs probably only applies in your 'unspecified country', not necessary where most of the readers live (so at least try to be more precise about localisation).
3) unplugging electric appliances is always a good idea when you start to tamper with them
4) removing the front is not going to harm you, I promise. The front weighs about ... 3 or 4kg. It has nothing attached to it. If removing it is a problem for you , then doing stuff yourself is probably indeed not a good idea.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for posting - I have exactly the same problem and was thinking I was going mad - clearly this is a design fault. Big bad for Vaillant who offer to send someone out for £250 to replace the knobs, and won't specify what time of day they'll send them. Um, customer service anyone?? To say it leaves a bad taste in my mouth is an understatement.

just to thank all who posted regarding this problem. I purchased a new set of knobs from Heating Components for £6 and the job only took about ten minutes.
As there was quite a long piece left in the pcb I carefully snipped it of as close to the pcb as possible and the end piece just fell out the back of the board.
I wouldn't recommend trying to force it through from the front with the new knob though as I think you could easily damage the motherboard.
thanks all
Pete

Sponsored Links
This s not a design fault it's just club handed customers being heavy handed ffs!

Bunnyman, it looks like you have a vested interest given your profile photo. This is absolutely a design fault and ours has broken in the same way. The radiator knob has been turned a total of 3 times and has sheared off. No pressure applied just simply came off in our hands. We sent Vaillant an email which they have decided to ignore. Very big of them!!

Great boiler otherwise but obviously a big flaw that they could/should easily fix.

Thanks all for the other posts, they are very helpful and prevent the need to feed the greed. I'm sorry I can't Echo your thoughts Bunnyman (did you see what I did there?)[/u]

other boiler makers don't allow for customers club hands and make the knobs more substantial then when they force the knobs they bust the pcb and that costs hundreds,, the knobs don't just fall apart lol! people break em

other boiler makers don't allow for customers club hands and make the knobs more substantial then when they force the knobs they bust the pcb and that costs hundreds,, the knobs don't just fall apart lol! people break em

Sorry you didn't listen. We don't have club hands, this was broken by an airy fairy turn to the right. I take your point about damaging the pcb if you over-strengthen the stem but this is a fault pure and simple. There's no resistance on the dial so there's no need to force them.

I look forward to seeing you on rogue traders!!

u idiot we mend these for a living they don't break themselves there is no fault only the **** turning the knob ffs.they r finger trip control not hoof control

u idiot we mend these for a living they don't break themselves there is no fault only the **** turning the knob ffs.they r finger trip control not hoof control

Steady on, you are quite clearly demonstrating why you only fix boilers for a living rather than anything more intellectually demanding.

You are NOT listening, there is a fault with the part. Just needs to be addressed by Vaillant and there won't be any of these futile conversations in the future.

Cheerio!!

Steady on, you are quite clearly demonstrating why you only fix boilers for a living rather than anything more intellectually demanding.

You are NOT listening, there is a fault with the part. Just needs to be addressed by Vaillant and there won't be any of these futile conversations in the future.

Cheerio!!
yes they have cured the f*cking prblem they made the plastic stronger so heavy handed customers (or their kids) canot break them but he ho we dont know our own strenghts after all,
BTW for your information taking the pis out of highly qualified experienced and well regarded tradesman only leads to other's held in the same regard unwilling to help people like yourself with simple diy faults!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also if it was just a simple job and not very demanding why do people like you frequent the site after all it isn't that demanding!!!!!!

also if it was just a simple job and not very demanding why do people like you frequent the site after all it isn't that demanding!!!!!!

Hi Bell824,

In response to your questions.

1. I'm on this site to see if the problem is a common one, which it clearly is.
2. You have confirmed that it was a design fault which has since been addressed. This is all I wanted to know as I feel Vaillant should be paying for the part not me.
3. I have the utmost respect for tradespeople. Apologies if it came across otherwise. What I object to is the unacceptable use of foul language in Bunnyman's responses. No need for it.

Please believe me, this dial just came off in my hand. The boiler is in the cellar so I guess this together with the warming and cooling of the boiler fatigues the thin plastic spindle.

Regards Currybelly

Having seen the message trail regarding these knobs breaking off - same has happened mine. It broke while under Vaillant's guarantee, unfortunately my tenants failed to advise me that this was the case, then again they didn't pay their rent, council tax or gas bill so it was hardly their priority. I called Vaillant 1 mth after the guarantee ran out when i had gained possession of the house from my tenants- the usual blurb that its now out of guarantee, quoted £260 for an engineer to come out with parts to fix. I quoted the consumer act and got the same blurb about manufacuturer's 2 yr guarantee. When are companies going to take responsbility for poor manufacturing? I chose a Vaillant on the basis of their apparently good manufacturing and reliability record. Its obvious from this thread that these knobs are poorly manufactured, and someone has quoted that they have addressed the problem. The boiler was installed in 2009, why can they honour their manufacturing faults. Grhh!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back