Raising a part of a flat roof query.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've got the builders in on the 16th of March to knock out a load bearing wall so I can extend the kitchen into the utility room.

The utility roof is lower than the kitchen ceiling so the roof has got to be raised so the RSJ can go in. I have no problems with a flat roof going in BUT.!!!

The utility room is on the end of the garage, with the same continuous roof. The architect who did the plans has just raised the utility roof and left the garage roof at the same height.

What I want to know is how is the old roof going to join the new roof? I'm worried about the seal not being good enough, now I'm probably worrying about nothing but is it common to join old flat roofing to a new one?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Just put a felt upstand where they join, and detail in felt.

Hi.....................,
Initial installation costs can run a little higher, but hese often are offset by reductions in future maintenance, energy consumption and re-roofing costs. Installing the replacement roof on a substructural system allows the new roof to be mounted right over the old one. This not only avoids disruption to activities inside the building and eliminates exposing the building's interior to the elements, but it also saves the labor and costs involved in removing the old roof.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back