Can we block airbrick?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
We live in an old house where the kitchen and the bathroom are always freezing, specially when it is windy outside. Even when the heater is running all day and night we don't feel warm or warmer.
In both of these rooms there are pipes and cables going from floor to roof and so the floor at these places let pass a lot of air.
As I noticed that there are airbricks outside which are located exactly where we can feel the cold inside, I was wondering if we could block them for a question and confort and energy saving. I would block them only for the winter season for instance with something like a wood panel which I would take away when the weather would be better.
Would it be ok?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You must make sure the air brick is not a permanent air supply for a gas or oil boiler or fireplace. Boilers need an air supply to ensure safe burning. Cutting off the air supply would be extremely dangerous. People are regularly killed by boilers due to insufficient air supply.

If not then you could possibly block the air brick but you have to be careful you don't cause yourself a condensation problem.

If in doubt about the air supply thing get a CORGI engineer to check it out.

heeelllooo and welcome lettywetty :D :D :D

if the air bricks are below floor level then you must not block them as they are to stop your floor rotting

why not fill in the holes and gaps that shouldnt be there letting the draughts in!!!

It is more cold then drafty (we can say 'drafty, I don't know, I'm french).
We blocked the holes everywhere as we could be but still feel cold.
I guess it is linked to the airbricks because the cold place is exactly located at the place where we see the airbrick outside.
We put a new woodfloor on the existing original woodfloor but it does not warm the place.
I don't want to ruin the house with humidity by blocking the bricks, I just want confort and I think, as there are many airbricks all around the house, that blocking one or 2 won't make a difference, will it?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
if the vents are on the garden you could try and baffle the wind by sticking a slate into the soil 6" away so you still get ventilation or a few bricks if its on a solid surface

if you can feel a draught then you should be filling in the gap with paper silicon filler what ever is best

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back