Cable spec for Rangemaster cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - Has anyone any idea what current a Rangemaster 1100 dual fuel draws?
I've got to install the cable this weekend and can't find the details on the manufacturers website or in the brochure.
It has 2 large ovens and a 2 stage grill and will be about 5m from the CU.
Is 6mm sufficient or will 10 mm be safer?

Thanks in advance for any guidance

Sponsored Links
there should be a plate on the cooker with the power rating

Thanks Andrew - problem is we don't have the cooker yet, it's being delivered in 2 weeks but the plasterer is coming this week and I need to install conduit and cable before he comes. . .
I suppose I can go look for a cooker in a showroom somewhere and grovel on the floor to find the plate.

The things you do for love, (well, women)

contact the place your gettin it from. they should be able to get the power rating for you

Sponsored Links
6mm might be ok for the cooker, but i would recommend 10mm just incase. itll also be there in future if you get a higher power rating cooker

Been and consulted the installation manual - oven rating given as 2.9kw (have to assume this is for each of the 2, it was unclear) plus grill of 2.7kw making a total of 8.5kw .
Strangely it also states that the unit is supplied fitted with 2m of cable and a 13amp plug!

According to my calculations the max draw would be nearly 37amps.
Shome mishtake shurely?

definatly cannot be connected to a 13A plug. i would recommend you go ahead and install 10mm^2 cable, and get the approperiate MCB once you have the cooker and can confirm how it is to be connected

Odyssy said:
Hi all - Has anyone any idea what current a Rangemaster 1100 dual fuel draws?
I've got to install the cable this weekend and can't find the details on the manufacturers website or in the brochure.
It has 2 large ovens and a 2 stage grill and will be about 5m from the CU.
Is 6mm sufficient or will 10 mm be safer?

Thanks in advance for any guidance

Correct formula for rating cookers = Cooker rating diveded by volts = Total potential load. The diversity rule applies and on cookers is as follows first 10amps + 30% of the remainder + 5amps for a cooker socket if applicable.

id get the oven and read the manual first

you are assuming both the ovens and the grill are elecric but i can't find any specs on whether or not this is the case

Dual fuel cookers can use 6mm cable but ALL ELECTRIC especially with INDUCTION hobs it is recommended 10mm^2 cable protected with a 45A RCB

No way should this arrangement ever be connected directly to your 240v ring mains ie a 240v plug socket

Alexiey - Odyssy was needing to install the cable over the weekend of 27/28 November 2004, which was nearly 8 years ago.

I imagine he's done it by now.

Dual fuel cookers can use 6mm cable but ALL ELECTRIC especially with INDUCTION hobs it is recommended 10mm^2 cable protected with a 45A RCB

No way should this arrangement ever be connected directly to your 240v ring mains ie a 240v plug socket

Alexiey

I'm also not getting at you but

PLEASE

what the f*** is an RCB
is it an RCD
is it an MCB
is it an RCCB
RCBO.... etc.........

also

Ring mains are used in water distribution, not electrical circuits. Did you mean ring final?

oh yes

and plug socket

what is that?

a plug has the sticky out pins, like your finger
a socket has holes, like your nose

those are two different things.

If you put your finger in your nose would you call it a fingernose??

I made the mistake of reading the plate and dividing watts by volts to give amps before only to find the manufacturer had some clever system to share the power and the hob could be configured for many supply sizes.

So sorry no good reading plates you need to read the book.

However clearly as long as the MCB and cable match worst case the MCB trips. I would use 10mm to be on safe side if installing new.

It was on this site where I found my mistake and after spouting that a guy could not run a 4 ring hob on 13A I had to eat humble pie and admit the one he had could be configured for 13A, 16A and 32A. So now I am more careful and just say read the manufacturers recommendation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back