AWOL roofer and problem not fixed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Roofer first came out a year ago, and (so he said) put on new lead flashing to stop a leak around the chimney that was seeping in to the internal wall. All fine for a few months then the problem got worse, after many calls and excuses he came out again first said it was some cracks that needed rendering, but then when he returned he cut away some tiles. Problem got worse still. Again, many calls and excuses and after looking again says he needs to cut away some more tiles. But now we can't get hold of him at all to come back and do the work.

I wasn't very happy to start with as he came and done the initial job when I wasn't at home, but he said he always guarantees his work and comes out and fixes any problems. So have been doggedly pursuing him to get him to stick to his word.

So, should I just get someone else in? What are my chances of getting my money back from this guy (small claims court? its £300)

But mostly just want things fixed. He was the second guy to come out and they all blame each others work - until it's there chance - why is it so difficult to fix? Sorry had so many problems with roofers at previous houses.

Sponsored Links
How is the leak becoming evident? Dripping onto the ceiling or just staining on the chimney breast?.

There is a huge damp patch which has spread over time - when it rains hard you can see the drips running down the wall too. It's now so big it never dries out at all.

Hi cant comment on the roof leak because you havnt provided enough information.

Small claims court will cost you around £90 in fees plus a lot of aggro.

Not sure what area you live in but you could try Checkatrade to find a reliable tradesman. customers leave feedback on the tradesman which is made public on the Checkatrade website. Great place to do your research on a company before you give them a call.

Sponsored Links
Hi. I is difficult to advise with out more info, photos etc. have a look at chimney tray video and other chimney related flashing's on http://www.justlead.co.uk it may help you to understand the problem when applied to your own situation. Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back