(Carport) Whats it called and what do i need to build it???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi...basically, i live in an end of terrace house, if you go through the side gate (which leads to the garden) there is obviously the path that runs along side of the house, so you got house on the left, about 4ft wide path then wooden fence on the right. OK, now you got the picture...i ride a motorcycle and park my bike on this path, i want to build a bit of roof to shelter the bike from rain while its there. what is this bit of shelter called??? i'm visualising some corrugated plastic on a frame protruding out of the wall, just to provide rain shelter for my bike! so, please tell me what its called, so i can search about how to build it. many thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
i've had a look at that, but all i want is just the roof bit, not looking for an actual building. i've tried looking at lean to, arbour, awning and a couple others i cant remember, but no joy!!! thanks for the reply though...i might look to get a lean to shed and just leave out a couple sides so you can pass straight through!

Sponsored Links
LEAN-TO PERGOLA!!!! Thats what i'm going for, looks half decent and i can shelter the bike. Thanks for looking and your help

good luck logi ;) got to keep the bike dry you know :D

i know, got a gixxer and been sitting out for a couple months getting shat on! garage has been a no go area for 2 years now, hopefully sort it this summer (heard that before)!!

Too big for your space but gives an outline.

Adjust rafter spacing to accommodate roof covering sheet size. Probably over-specified for your needs. Hopefully someone else can advise.

Diagram reads: Ledger 50mm x 100mm lag-bolted to house studs, Rafter 50mm x 150mm, Beam 150mm x 200mm, Posts 100mm x 100mm, Concrete footing 300mm square, Metal post anchors.

you culd always use the fence as extra support on the other side - if its the right height

LoL - was just about to ask the same question :)

str - the last pic you have in your post above, what site did you find that? as i am looking for something very similar i can make my self to go above our kitchen back door.

Or do PVC companies make these?

Never mind found the correct word - Canopy :) So much easier when you get the terminology right LoL

Does anyone have any idea where i can get any plans to make my own? Had a look on google, but it seems even plans have there price these days :(

deefadog - it was just off google images, sorry, don't know any specific manufacturers/installers

I'm sure you will be able to buy it in kit form from some place?

Thanks, yes i found it :) Going to make my own after all it's DIYnot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back