Vaillant CombiCompact boiler - hot water fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are renting a flat with a Vaillant CombiCompact boiler in the bathroom. The problem is, when using hot water or the mixer shower, the boiler fires up then turns off, fires up, turns off - intermittently.

This results in scalding hot water coming through, and no ability to regulate the temperature in the shower. It basically gives the option of: hot, but intermittently scalding hot, or too cold to shower. It is not possible to stand in for more than 30 secs as the boiler will light again and scalding occurs. This also happens with the hot water tap - scalding water no matter if you havet the tap on fully or halfway. There is no way to make it cool down.

Another issue is that the kitchen tap takes around 2 minutes to get hot water and then is scalding.

Does anyone know what this might be? Landlord is being difficult and claims his 'plumber' has checked twice and it's fine. It clearly isn't as we struggle with it every day!

Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
Well it certainly seems to have a fault !

Its can be difficult in that situation. Were you there when the landlords "plumber" came?

A first check would be ask for the CORGI details of the "plumber". If he is not registered then he should not be working on boilers and would usually not be competent to diagnose boiler faults anyway.

Next, have you got a copy of the Landlords Gas Safety Certificate which the landlord is required by law to have every year?

Tony

Well it certainly seems to have a fault !

Its can be difficult in that situation. Were you there when the landlords "plumber" came?

A first check would be ask for the CORGI details of the "plumber". If he is not registered then he should not be working on boilers and would usually not be competent to diagnose boiler faults anyway.

Next, have you got a copy of the Landlords Gas Safety Certificate which the landlord is required by law to have every year?

Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for replying. He came once two weeks ago and my girlfriend was in - he said he checked some valves (detailed explanation), but this had no effect. So I asked for him to call again, heard nothing. Then the landlord tells me yesterday "he's been, checked it, said it's fine". We had no idea he had been so whether he even did call again is in question. It is someone who works for this guy so I wouldn't know if he is qualified.

I'll ask for these two things and go from there, thanks for the useful info. Landlord's already getting arsey but I don't care as want it sorting out asap.

Cheers again,

Andy

Dont you know if you have a gas certificate?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back