Quick main bonding Q

Reaction score
Country
Norway
Hi there,

Gas meter is exernal and pipe enters property under suspended floor, where it stays until well after its first branch. I can bond where it enters the property as I'm told I should by the regs (and this is also just within 600mm of the meter for what it's worth) but of course that'll be under the floor. Is a floorboard inspection hatch sufficient that the bonding connection can be considered accessible for inspection/maintenance? i.e. what's least bad - accessability requiring a slight carpet corner peel, or ignoring "...or at the point of entry to the building if the meter is external" and extending my equipotential zone outside the building into the meter enclosure?

Similarly, my water incomer is lead - mmmm. Only for about 18" before it becomes a full plastic installation, but I assume I still must main bond the lead bit. Again all under the timber floor, but this can be made slightly more accessable with a hatch in the base of a kitchen cupboard - no carpet to peel.

Advice appreciated as always,

Liam

Sponsored Links
if it's under the floor then it hasn't entered the building yet has it?

odds are that you won't be able to touch that pipe in every day use..?

Hmmmm. Well it's within the walls - just beneath the floor boards. Personally I'd classify that as having entered the building! Where it first becomes visible above floorboard level - pretty much a tie between the boiler and cooker supplies - is well after branches in the pipe. You wouldn't be able to touch the pipes in everyday use, no, but as far as I'm aware that doesn't exempt them from requiring to be main bonded, does it?

Cheers,

Liam

Sponsored Links
You may have a more serious problems.

Gas pipes should not be run beneath floors due to the risk of a gas leak and subsequent explosion. You should be thinking of rerouting the pipe.

Eh.
Surely running under the floor is ok in a ventilated floor space.

Hmmm not heard that one before myself, and I did live on the plumbing section for a while before I came over here. Mr Corgi didn't bat an eyelid when he sorted the gas either.

Cheers anyway.

Liam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back