pointing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'd like to know at what point does repointing become necessary.

I have a wall where the mortar has fallen off from the gaps for about 10mm. But this is linear across the bricks. Do I need to take out anymore of it or should i fill in the gap up to the brick edge?

In other parts the mortar has not come off but it is the original 1930s mortar i think. I can score it with a key but it is not crumbling as such.

thks

Sponsored Links
The mortar joints between face brick or blockwork need to be compressed, tight and smooth. Whether this is achieved with a jointing iron or pointing trowel is irrelevant, it is the smooth surface that provides the weathering.

Once this smooth surface is gone then water can penetrate the mortar joints and begin the slow process of decomposition, via frost, rain or wind damage. Once the depression is 15mm plus then there is a risk to the bricks themselves.

Exposure to the weather will determine the speed of decomposition and exposure will depend upon the geography or orientation of the building, i.e. N,S,E,W, facing elevations.

Take a common sense view, or at least fix the worst areas first.

Jack
Pointing is not necessary as modern day recessed pointing is not a problem for damp.
However a 1930s property is more than likely sand lime mix and therefore weathers easier. Also a cavity would help but again most 1930s houses are one brick thick and although it takes 6 to 8 inches for damp to travel horizontally it only has to weather a small amount to become internal damp through the wall.
Rake out the existing mortar to half inch or 15mm and re point using a 5 to 1 mix of cement and silver sand.
The type of pointing does not matter to make waterproof so you could use a trowel or bucket handle or jointer.
Or you could leave until you get internal damp then point.
Peter ( 35 years in the trade)

Pointing is essential in maintaining the walls weather resistance. Even a recessed joint needs to be ironed smooth, and even so will allow premature weathering unless appropriate bricks are used

Joints should be raked out to 20mm minimum.

Also, silver sand is not the correct sand to use - unless in the unlikely case that the wall was built with it.

Silver sand is too coarse, too clean, and apart from being impossible to actually work with, it will be too strong and too inflexible and it is not possible to get a smooth face - to provide the necessary weathering to the wall. Use building sand

Sponsored Links
25 years of doing it right, and a Spirit Level in Bricklaying :cool:

I don't like to brag about my other stuff, mostly post graduation ;)

many thanks to all.
I'll take some pics of the before and after as i'll have a go myself at doing it.

Please do brag woody im sure we would all like to know
25 years is nothing without qualifications

And by the way building sand has too much silt in it nowadays to use as pointing mortar.

And by the way building sand has too much silt in it nowadays to use as pointing mortar.

Would that depend on what quarry or pit it came out of, and the process undergone to meet BS EN 13139:2004 ?

Oh, and its 25 years of building sand going into the joints and not sliding off the trowel/hawk off onto my boots like silver sand does ;)

You still aint answered have you woody
Your beginning to sound now like my labourer
Last time , what qualifications have you or we will assume youve just picked it up me ole son

Yes, lets assume I've just picked it all up ( like you would your silver sand compo off the floor. LOL :rolleyes:

It does not change the fact that silver sand is not the correct sand to use for repointing brickwork. I don't need a Masters degree to tell you that, do I!

Silver sand! Are you having a larf? :eek:

There is no fat in silver sand. It is a rinsed product wholly unsuitable for pointing. As woods has said a little too brittle also.

You would be laughed off the site if you started pointing up with that rubbish.

p.s. I come from a family of builders and have been working on private jobs since i was 15 yrs old. I am now 16 yrs old. :LOL:

Ha ha woody

Just another labourer who knows better lol

Is this why ur on here cus nobody takes u seriously on site

LABOURER FFS

Not worth talking to
Speak to me when you are qualified!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your beneath me

End of thread case solved

Honest opinions
Obviously another idiot here

Woody is a surveyor so it says,,,,,,,,OF WHAT??????????????

Even if in the building its like asking a lorry driver whats wrong with a mercedes car ignition problem!!!!!!!!!!

This is my las post because I just cannot listen to the crap im hearing from these girls

As for the person who asked the original question,,,,,,,,, listen to who you
believe but I have qualifications
C & G
C & G advanced
600 series
For mans exams
ONC in building studies
Member of several institutions
Cert of education which enables me to teach to ONC standard
In the trade for 35 years

Oh and I ran my own business for 25 and retired @ 50

Suck that you bunch of Know it all fools

GOODBYE I WILL LEAVE YOU TO FIND RESPECT IN TEXT CUS YOU SURE AS HELL OBVIOUSLY DONT GET IT @ THE JOB U DO!!!!!!!!!

Night enjoy working

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back