Using Aitec insulation as a dpm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Help please. I live in a dwelling with solid metre thick stone walls which have a concrete block inner leaf with timber and polystyrene dry lining. In one of the gable ends there is a window. The wall has granite cappings and the roof tiles are just pointed up against them. During prolonged rain water starts to drip through the whole plasterboard sheet above & around the window. I have pointed the wall, cappings & roof and replaced the boarding using the existing urethane sheeting on the back of new plasterboard. However, despite curing for a while the problem still remains. I was thinking of removing the boarding again and putting a layer of double airtec foil insulation in an inverted 'u' around the top & sides to create an insulated dpm to divert any water ingress around the opening and continue its 'flow' down the wall. The problem in doing this is that there is virtually zero clearance on the top of the window with the concrete lintels supporting the wall being level with the top of the window frame so no chance of any air gap between the lintel, insulation and board. Additionally as I did not want to perforate the insulation would I get away with using a polymer adhesive/sealant such as Stixall to hold it up and also seal the insulation liner against the outer stone leaf and window frame?

Will airtec insulation be a suitable product to do this?

Has anyone any other thoughts or suggested solutions?

Charles

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back