Mortar dropping out of roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I seem to be having a problem with the mortar falling out of the gaps on the edge of my roof. Its coming out on the end of the house where the tiles sit on it, the red in the picture is where its falling out from. How would this be fixed? Is it a case of just chipping the old stuff out and filling it with new or do tiles have to be lifted? As its on the apex of the house would scaffolding need to be used to repair it or would it be repairable with ladders? If its just a case of refilling it, is it normally expensive- if scaffolding has to be used i guess it will get costly. Would it be letting water into the house if it all fell out or is it more just a cosmetic thing to finish off the tiles?

house2.jpg

Sponsored Links
It is known as the verge pointing and it can just be pulled out if loose and repointed. It can be done from a ladder if access allows it and as for it leaking into your roof, that depends if it is overhanging your building or not and if you have roof felt under your tiles (very likely) then it shouldn't leak. It is not something you want to ignore though as wind can get under and possibly cause more damage, not to mention nesting sparrows etc at this time of year.

A neighbour of mine has had the segmental verge fitted and it looks ok. I guess that stuff is not cheap to have done.

Sponsored Links
the verge pieces/segments are around £2.50 each so depending how many courses of tiles you have ???
the ridge blockend cap around a fiver.
not expensive for material!
a days work would complete both verges. £200, £300 labour.

or you could be a bit cheeky and ask your neighbour how much it cost. :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back