retaining wall cladding question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to all. I'd appreciate any help or advice.

I have a long retaining wall to the side of my house, and I don't want to paint it. I'd prefer if it was a stone wall, because it would look better, more natural, and would require little or no maintenance. But the wall is about 26 yards long, and 4 feet high, and would cost a small fortune to get a stonemason to make some sense of it.

The only other thing I can think of is to clad it. I know from googling that there are a number of products on the market that offer a flexible cement which can be imprinted and coloured to look like a natural stone finish.

But here's the thing: I've never seen these finishes myself, and I wondered if anyone out there has had it done, and what they think of it? Does it work? Does it last? Does it look OK or like an artificial product?

The wall will only be seen by me and a neighbour (we share a short drive), so it's not fully public. That said, if it's naff I wouldn't go down this route.

I'll stop now. Any ideas or thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks. Bandonboy.

Sponsored Links
I have a long retaining wall to the side of my house, and I'd prefer if it was a stone wall

There are many types of stone wall.

Portland stone blocks are very geometric and ordered where as a dry stone wall is random and rather chaotic.

Some skilled renderers can achieve that ashlar and quoins look, but it depends what you want to achieve.

Any examples?

Hi there - and many thanks for resonding.

I should have explained that what I have at the moment is a block built wall, plastered smooth. It's absolutely fine as far as walls go, but the house would benefit from a more natural-looking appearance.

However, I don't want to take the wall down, and I don't want to have a painted finish, which is why I'm wondering is it possible to get a more economical cladding or flex c ment sort of solution.

A real stone built wall would be great, but stonemasons (even in recession-stricken Ireland) are an expensive option.

Thanks again - BB

Sponsored Links
Sorry! Portland type of finish would probably be best; the house is a 1970s sort of affair and a 'country' look wouldn't suit it, I reckon.
BB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back