Brickweave Manhole cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have finally got round to doing a job that I noticed when I moved into my house 3 years ago. The previous occupants had brickweaved over the man hole cover (leaving the bricks lose so they could e taken up). I have purchased one of those manhole covers with a tray for brickweave but now have a question!

This may sound stupid but do I lay the brickweave in the manhole tray using sand or cement? My thoughts are:-

Sand - As the tray has no drainage holes it will fill up with water & rust (OK it is galvanised but that doesn't last too long...).

Cement - gets over the trapping of most of the water but will be heavier.

What should I do sand or cement (or maybe go down the pub!)?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Hmmm I think I might have not been very clear with my question.....

I purchased a man hole cover for block paving & ned to know whether the blocks in the removable cover should be cemented in place or laid in the tray on sharp sand (with kiln dried sand filling the gaps).

Help would be very much appreciated.

provided the tray is a block paving tray (ie deep enough) then lay bed them on sharp sand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back