red brick tiles scratched

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
our hearth had some very ugly ceramic tiles laid over 6 in sq red tiles. i've removed the ceramic tiles and cleaned up the original red tiles, but now i see that they are all scratched as if they were scored to enhance the glue for the ceramic tiles. how can these scratched be removed? i don't know what kind of tile this is, but it must be heat resistant as it was laid into the firebox. the house is 102 years old. thanks!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you're on a looser. Dependant on the nature of the tiles, you may be able to use a diamond polishing wheel, but the expense of the equipment would probably cost more than it's worth. I'd rip them up and replace them (or leave them in place and put some more over the top). :cry:

Thanks for your reply, TexMex! I appreciate your suggestion. Yesterday, in desperation, I happened to try some mineral oil I had in the cupboard. I use it to season and restore my cutting boards, so I figured that it might help the tiles. It worked very well. The scratches have disappeared and the tiles are much darker. I don't know how effective the oil will be in the longterm, but it is relatively inexpensive so it will be the best solution for now.

Mineral Oil? on cutting boards? Do you mean cutting boards as in, what you cut your bread, and veggies on? but isn't mineral oil toxic?

Still, glad you found a solution (pardon the pun).

Sponsored Links
lannij said:
Thanks for your reply, TexMex! I appreciate your suggestion. Yesterday, in desperation, I happened to try some mineral oil I had in the cupboard. I use it to season and restore my cutting boards, so I figured that it might help the tiles. It worked very well. The scratches have disappeared and the tiles are much darker. I don't know how effective the oil will be in the longterm, but it is relatively inexpensive so it will be the best solution for now.

Thanks for this. I was looking for a solution for my red and cream hearth tiles. Have tried all cleaners to no avail. The mineral oil has brought them up lovely (NB cant be toxic as IKEA sells it to oil the wooden worktop)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back