sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi , do you guys use a sealant for filling gaps in consumer units , switches , sockets etc , im not sure what to use

Sponsored Links
Exactly what sort of gaps are we talking? I can't see any scenario where you should be using sealant on indoor accessories, although when running cables between in/outdoors it is usually a good idea to use sealant around the point where the cable exits the building, or around rear cable entries in conduit boxes/outdoor electrical accessories.

As for the CU, I guess you could use sealant if you have direct surface clipped cables entering the CU, but it would be better to cut entry holes in the housing that are the right size for the cables.

As for the CU, I guess you could use sealant if you have direct surface clipped cables entering the CU, but it would be better to cut entry holes in the housing that are the right size for the cables.

It's difficult to maintain IP2X for a top surface though as the entry hole would have to be practically perfect to withstand entry of foreign objects of over 1mm in diameter.

Sponsored Links
Silicone is OK for places like consumer unit surfaces but (per the above) shouldnt be necessary if its done right.

Don't seal round switches and sockets its a pain as you'll wreck the decoration when they next have to be removed.
Decorators Caulk is often used though. Again, shouldnt't be necessary if the area round the back box is prepared properly.

I generally use decorator's caulk.

(Occasionally plaster when the previous 'electrician' has cables exiting from either both top and bottom or both sides of a backbox making it all but impossible to remove it without damage. One of my favourite whinges).

1mm is IP4X, and from a brief look in the 17th, the IP4X requirement in the 16th for horizontal surfaces seems to have been removed.
416.2.2 A horizontal top surface of a barrier or enclosure which is readily accessible shall provide a degree
of protection of at least IPXXD or IP4X.

I see my son using expanding foam. I hate the stuff. And at one time I was using fire stop until I read the COSHH on it. Also some stuff may damage cables. I would say robertw63 has right idea comes in handy tubes no need to mix on site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back