Minor works testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am a newly qualified electrician and as such just wanted to ask a couple of questions about minor works testing.

I have been asked to replace a 13a socket face on a 32a ring as the existing one is cracked and unsafe.

My first question is does this work require a minor works cert?

Secondly, assuming the answer to the above is yes, can you complete all the required tests with the other circuits in the consumer unit being live as the owner does not want to disconnect the supply to some of his other circuits.

Again I am assuming that the answer to this is yes, the circuit is protected by an RCBO so I am assuming the RCD tests will not cause a problem as the circuit does not go through a second RCD.

However, when I thought about the Zs test, I was then unsure if this would be ok to do with all the other circuits live and I believe that it is a required test for the minor works cert?

Many thanks in advance
Luke

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

I am a newly qualified electrician and as such just wanted to ask a couple of questions about minor works testing.

I have been asked to replace a 13a socket face on a 32a ring as the existing one is cracked and unsafe.

My first question is does this work require a minor works cert?
Yes all work requires a minor work cert if installation one is not issued. It is really a check sheet to ensure you don't miss checking something
Secondly, assuming the answer to the above is yes, can you complete all the required tests with the other circuits in the consumer unit being live as the owner does not want to disconnect the supply to some of his other circuits.
No you can't test Neutral / Earth insulation resistance without switching off with double pole device.
Again I am assuming that the answer to this is yes, the circuit is protected by an RCBO so I am assuming the RCD tests will not cause a problem as the circuit does not go through a second RCD.
In most cases RCBO's are single pole so first double pole device is likely to be the RCD. Although if RCD is 100ma and RCBO is 30ma you may be able to test just the RCBO.
However, when I thought about the Zs test, I was then unsure if this would be ok to do with all the other circuits live and I believe that it is a required test for the minor works cert?

Many thanks in advance
Luke
Zs is not very important where RCD is used and most testers will test without tripping RCD.

In an exceptional circumstance you may miss out some of the tests for example where it would kill the server for a major computer network but I should not think one could justify missing out tests in a house.

You can disconnect the circuit cables from the CU and IR test them seperately without turning off the power. You can also do your continuity tests whilst disconnected. Then Zs, Ze and RCD can be measured once it is reconnected. You won't have to turn the power off as long as you take suitable precautions whilst working live. You haven't mentioned an incomer RCD, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Surely you can't test Ze, as you'd need to disconnect the MEB, which you shouldn't do with the system energised?

Sponsored Links
Personally if you are only replacing a damaged accessory I'd ask wether or not you'd need to issue a MEIWC? If someone demanded a cert then yes, a MEIWC can be issued but I'd regard the replacing of an accessory as maintenance rather than installation work.
As a minimum I'd do an earth fault loop check to make sure the accessory is correctly earthed.

On a minor cert the only tests you are asked to do are
IR
EFLI
Polarity
RCD
No mention of Zs or Ze. Of course you need to check that the main bonding is in order.

No mention of Zs or Ze

Depending on which competent persons scheme Luke is with, I know NIC ask for ZS and R1 +R2.

As for the IR I suppose you could write LIM in the box (and explain in the testing comments section), although I'd try and avoid it!

Whats on the other circuits that can't be shut down anyway? (being nosey!)

Given the nature of the questions I was rather hoping that the OP was not with a competent person scheme as to ask such questions surely means one is not competent. Enquiring - yes, thoughtful - yes , sensible to ask when you don't know - yes but competent - I think not.

IMHO you're foolish not to issue MEIWC for such work and that requires certain tests to be carried out that may inconvenience the occupier. Tough - thats whats required to doa job thoroughly and professionally. Keep standards high to keep the cowboys at bay.

Puts you off the job a bit doesn't it.

Paperwork just to replace a single socket.

Where does it say in the regs that you must issue certification when you haven't added or altered anything?
Next thing you'll be telling us you need an MEIWC to change a lamp :eek:

Personally if you are only replacing a damaged accessory I'd ask wether or not you'd need to issue a MEIWC? If someone demanded a cert then yes, a MEIWC can be issued but I'd regard the replacing of an accessory as maintenance rather than installation work.
As a minimum I'd do an earth fault loop check to make sure the accessory is correctly earthed.

I with you on this one.....

Agree with Sparks, no certificate required at all. I do a ELI test as matter of course but no paperwork needed.

I don't complete a MWC with an accessory change - sure, I do the tests, but don't record them on paper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back