Decking questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I would like to build some raised decking straight onto my patio (where the table is and slightly round the corner shown in the other corner) to get better views. I have seen lots of decking plans that are dug into the ground and concreted. As I would be building straight onto patio I couldn't do this. Any suggestions on what to do as at the moment don't know where to start!

Thanks katy

Sponsored Links
I did something similar myself.

First of all you need to make sure that the paved area you are intending to build on is solid.
Once you've established that you'll need to work out how much you need to raise by.
Take into consideration the depth of the frame work, assuming you are using 4x2 or even 6x2.

Once you've done that, you can lay down your membrane and have raised points using brickwork that the frame can rest on.
You can then bolt the frame to the brickwork that you have put in place. Something I did was cement the brickwork supports through the membrane by cutting out a small section of the membrane under the brickwork, this will give you a stonger bond than it would if you just cemented them on top of the membrane.

Have a look at my post and progress pictures to get a better idea of how to do it.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=145792

Hope this helps,

Stu

Wow, that has helped alot, I had never considered using blocks to help with the height, what a good idea. I'm going to show this to my partner later on, as he would be the one carrying out the practical, I am just the brains behind the idea! Hopefully he will pull of as good job as your self!

Thanks very much

p.s. If anyone else has any tips or pictures of simular projects I would be very grateful as we need all the help we can get!

how much higher do you want it?

and don't forget that you'll need to put a railing up to stop anyone going over that wall ...

Sponsored Links
Bunny, you may recall the photo i posted of the hardwood one when you asked before.

It is very straight forward. the legs to the deck (providing it isnt higher than aboout 500mm) can simply sit directly onto the patio. The weight of the deck will hold it in place. We normally build the outside frame and then raise it to the height we want on a leg at each corner. Once it is levelled off, it is a simple task of putting in the remaining joists and any additional legs for supports after that. The frame would be best in 6 x 2 and the legs can also be made in that as well

And as col jack says, dont forget the railing.

Hi all,

Thanks for your responces, I would really like it come to just below the wall (once I have repaired my wall) I would then mount the railings to the structure at the front where the drop is. In your opineons does this look like a pheasable project and how do you think I should achieve my height, using only a frame structure or by mounting a frame onto a platform ie breeze blocks?

Thanks in advcnce

Katy

in that case it can be attached to the wall for additional support and legs used to support the rest of it. thats how we do it

Key thing with doing it this way is as previously mentioned ... Make sure the patio is rock solid.

The loading on the patio slabs will be far greater than it is now and if it isn't solid the deck will be unsafe ... As the deck is also raised this makes it more so.

You can't beat posts on prepared piers for raised decks IMO but I would compromise if the patio had a properly prepared base ... Many don't and the slabs are just laid on a bed of sand.

Good luck

MW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back